Spring theory, when can this happen? If ever

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of an ideal massless spring on a horizontal frictionless surface when pushed to its maximum at x = -x_max and released. It is determined that the spring will snap back to its neutral position without any oscillation. The addition of an object will cause the spring to stop at the equilibrium point. The potential and kinetic energy of the mass-spring system is also considered.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

I have a spring on a horizontal flat frictionless surface. If I push it at its max at x = -x_max and releases it, will it stop at the equilbrium point and go back to x = -x_max or will it go beyond the x = 0 and go to x = x_max?

I know that if i have an object attched to the spring (but not becoming one with the spring) it will stop at x = 0 and releases it, but will it go back and forth between -x_max and x_max if there is no object?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is your spring a real spring or an ideal (massless) spring?

hmmm let's go with the ideal massless spring

I imagine that if you compress/stretch an ideal massless spring and then release it, it would snap back to its neutral position instantaneously, with no oscillation. EDIT: oops, I meant to say it will oscillate from x_min to x_max at infinite frequency.

Last edited:
What if there is an object? Will it just stop at x = 0?

Yes. Recapping the scenario: an ideal massless spring on a frictionless horizontal surface is fixed at one side, equilibrium length is x. The spring is compressed to a length of x-x_max, and a mass is placed next to the compressed spring. At this point in time, the potential energy in the spring is given by:

PE-x_max = (1/2)k(-x_max)2

As the mass-spring system is released the mass begins to accelerate towards the spring's equilibrium point, gaining kinetic energy. At the equilibrium point, there is no more PE in the spring. It has all been converted to the KE of the mass. The mass will continue moving, now at constant velocity. Since the spring is massless (no inertia) it will remain at the equilibrium point.

Related to Spring theory, when can this happen? If ever

1. What is Spring theory?

Spring theory is a scientific hypothesis that suggests the existence of a fundamental force or particle that could explain the phenomena of gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong and weak nuclear forces. It is still a highly debated and unproven theory in the scientific community.

2. How does Spring theory relate to the concept of time?

Spring theory suggests that time is not a linear concept but rather a result of the interactions between particles and forces. It proposes that time can be affected by changing the properties of these particles and forces, potentially leading to time dilation and other time-related phenomena.

3. Can Spring theory be proven?

As of now, Spring theory is still a theoretical concept and has not been proven by any scientific experiments or observations. However, scientists are continuously conducting research and experiments to test the validity of this theory.

4. When can we expect Spring theory to be confirmed or debunked?

It is difficult to predict when or if Spring theory will ever be confirmed or debunked. It may require significant advancements in technology and experiments to provide evidence for or against this theory. As of now, it remains a topic of ongoing research and debate.

5. What are the potential implications of Spring theory being proven?

If Spring theory is ever proven to be true, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental forces and particles that govern the universe. It could also have practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and technology.