Spring Powered Dragster. Time dependent displacement function

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a gearbox for a spring-powered dragster that needs to complete a 10m track without wheel slipping. The speaker plans to use graphs of acceleration, velocity, and distance versus time to evaluate the best gear ratio. They also mention using the equation "Time = integral of dx/v(x)" to calculate time dependence and obtain functions for acceleration, velocity, and distance as a function of time.
hammeraxe
I am to design a gearbox for a small spring powered dragster. It needs to complete a track of 10 m, so I want the spring to give out it's energy over this distance, but without causing wheel slipping.
I also need to produce graphs: acceleration vs time, velocity vs time and distance vs time

The basic layout of the gearbox is clear to me, I just need to choose the right total gear ratio (TGR). To do this, however, I need to be able to evaluate the time in which the vehicle will cover the 10m track and thus choose the quickest combination that does not result in wheel slipping.

A cord is attached to the spring wound around an axis, which, in turn is connected to the wheel axis through gears.

Ignoring wheel moment of inertia, gearbox friction and air resistance:

[tex]"Wheel torque"=\frac{"Spring force"*R_{axis}}{TGR}[/tex]

[tex]"Wheel torque"=\frac{"Tractive force"}{R_{wheel}}[/tex]

[tex]"Tractive force"=\frac{"Spring force"*R_{axis}}{TGR*R_{wheel}}[/tex]

So
[tex]Acceleration=\frac{"Spring force"*R_{axis}}{TGR*R_{wheel}*"Vehicle mass"}[/tex]

Spring force=k*\Delta*x

I can work out the distance the vehicle moves per unit of spring extenstion decrease (delta x), and it would give me acceleration as a function of distance. This can be integrated and velocity and displacement functions can be obtained.

How do I get time dependence though? I'm sure it's through some sort of differatial manipulation.

I hope I've made this clear. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Sorry about the messy equations, I can't get them to display correctly for some reason

Engineering news on Phys.org
. To solve for time dependence, you can use the equation:Time=\int_{x_0}^{x_1} \frac{dx}{v(x)}where x_0 and x_1 are the initial and final positions of the vehicle, and v(x) is the velocity of the vehicle at position x. Integrating this equation gives you the total time it takes for the vehicle to travel between its initial and final positions. From here, you can calculate the acceleration, velocity, and distance as a function of time.

Related to Spring Powered Dragster. Time dependent displacement function

1. What is a Spring Powered Dragster?

A Spring Powered Dragster is a type of toy car or model vehicle that is powered by a spring, which is wound up and then released to propel the car forward. These dragsters are often used in science experiments to study concepts such as energy, motion, and force.

2. How does a Spring Powered Dragster work?

A Spring Powered Dragster works by converting the potential energy stored in the wound-up spring into kinetic energy, which is used to move the car forward. As the spring unwinds, it transfers its energy to the wheels of the dragster, causing them to rotate and propel the car forward.

3. What factors affect the performance of a Spring Powered Dragster?

The performance of a Spring Powered Dragster can be affected by various factors such as the type and strength of the spring used, the weight and design of the car, the surface it is being raced on, and the angle at which the car is released.

4. How can a Spring Powered Dragster be used in scientific experiments?

A Spring Powered Dragster can be used in scientific experiments to study concepts such as potential and kinetic energy, the relationship between mass and acceleration, and the effects of friction on motion. Students can also modify the design of the dragster to test how different factors affect its performance.

5. What are the potential safety concerns when working with Spring Powered Dragsters?

Some potential safety concerns when working with Spring Powered Dragsters include ensuring that the car is released in a safe direction, using appropriate protective gear, and carefully handling the spring to prevent any injuries. It is important to follow all safety precautions and instructions provided by the manufacturer or teacher.