Speed of Body After 2.06s with -3.93 m/s2 Acceleration

• Thread starter krazykaci
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the initial speed of a body is 4.37 m/s and it accelerates uniformly at -3.93 m/s^2. After 2.06 seconds, the speed is approximately -3.73 m/s, taking into account significant figures. There may be confusion with the direction of acceleration and whether to use velocity or speed.
krazykaci
The initial speed of a body is 4.37 m/s. What is the speed after 2.06s if it accelerates uniformly at -3.93 m/s^2. Answer in units of m/s.

would I not use the kinamatic equ. v=v.+a(t) so v=4.37+-3.93(2.06)? cause when I do that I get the wrong solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the answer?
What did you get?

-3.7258 is what i got.

You are undoubtfully correct. Just be careful with significant figures: the solution is -3.73 m/s.

Why do you claim you are wrong?

its an assignment through a college online, and when i submit the answer -3.7258 or -3.73 it says I am wrong.

Try -3.72 m/s, then.

nope ... that didnt work either. I don't know what I am doing wrong? I am sure I am right.

PPonte said:
You are undoubtfully correct. Just be careful with significant figures: the solution is -3.73 m/s.

Why do you claim you are wrong?

I think it's -3.72 m/s, even numbers don't get rounded up when the next digit is 5.

In any case, could you give us the exact statement of the problem? Also check that you are not making a mistake in reading the problem. Finally, there's the possibility that the answer known by the computer is wrong.

It gets a little trickier because it asks "What is the speed", not "What is the velocity". Then it gives initial speed of 4.37 m/s, but since it is a speed, it implies no direction. Then it gives acceleration with a minus sign, implying direction, but not giving you a reference axis. So you don't know what direction relative to the initial speed it is accelerating.

Speed is a scalar, not a vector, and should be a positive number.

I'd be tempted to try 3.73 m/s. (no negative sign).

loom91 said:
...even numbers don't get rounded up when the next digit is 5.
Are you sure about that? The digit after the 5 is an 8. I imagine 3.7258 rounds to 3.73.

tony873004 said:
Are you sure about that? The digit after the 5 is an 8. I imagine 3.7258 rounds to 3.73.

I don't know about professional conventions, but I was taught that when rounding to the nth digit one should only consider upto the n+1)th digit, ignoring later digits. By this convention, you wouldn't round 5 to 6, you would treat it as a 5.

Related to Speed of Body After 2.06s with -3.93 m/s2 Acceleration

1. What is the speed of the body after 2.06 seconds with an acceleration of -3.93 m/s2?

The speed of the body can be calculated using the formula:
Final speed = Initial speed + (Acceleration x Time)
Plugging in the values, we get:
Final speed = 0 + (-3.93 x 2.06)
Final speed = -8.09 m/s
Therefore, the speed of the body after 2.06 seconds with an acceleration of -3.93 m/s2 is -8.09 m/s.

2. Is the acceleration of -3.93 m/s2 considered positive or negative?

The acceleration of -3.93 m/s2 is considered negative because it is moving in the opposite direction of the initial velocity. In this case, the body is decelerating or slowing down.

3. How does the speed of the body change with different accelerations?

The speed of the body changes according to the acceleration it experiences. If the acceleration is positive, the body's speed will increase. If the acceleration is negative, the body's speed will decrease. The magnitude of the acceleration also affects the speed - a larger acceleration will result in a faster change in speed compared to a smaller acceleration.

4. Can the speed of the body be negative?

Yes, the speed of the body can be negative. A negative speed indicates that the body is moving in the opposite direction of the initial velocity. In this case, the body is slowing down or moving in the negative direction of the chosen coordinate system.

5. How does time affect the speed of the body with a constant acceleration?

The speed of the body changes with time if there is a constant acceleration. The longer the acceleration is applied, the greater the change in speed. This is because the body's speed increases or decreases by a fixed amount for each unit of time that passes. In this scenario, the speed of the body will decrease by 3.93 m/s for every second that passes.