Special Relativity quick problem

In summary, the question is asking to find the speed of light in a given frame where water is flowing at a speed v and the light propagates in the same direction as the water. The notation used in the question is O' for the frame of the water and O for the stationary water frame. The speed of light, s, is given as the speed with respect to the stationary water frame. The unknown speed is the speed of light with respect to the Earth frame (O). Both frames are moving in the positive x direction.
binbagsss
The question is : Let s be the speed of light through water. If water is flowing at speed v in a given frame, find the speed of light in that frame, were the light propagates in the same direction as the water?

My question:

I am having a sign issue.
I can not see how the following is flawed, derived from the Lorentz boosts:

x' = γ(x-Vt)
t'=γ(t-Vx/c^2)

Where I define frame O' to be that of the water moving at v, and O to be the stationary water.

Then V=v.
x is the position vector in frame O. x = st.
=> dx'/dt'= [itex]\frac{s-v}{1-\frac{sv}{c^{2}}}[/itex]

Which is not the correct answer :
[itex]\frac{s+v}{1+\frac{sv}{c^{2}}}[/itex]Many thanks to anyone who can help shed some light on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:
The question is : Let s be the speed of light through water. If water is flowing at speed v in a given frame, find the speed of light in that frame, ...

Which frame is being referred to here? O or O'?

Edit: OK. I see now. It seemed more natural to me to take frame O to be the Earth frame and O' to be the frame of the water. But you are using the opposite notation.

In which direction is the water (your O frame) moving relative to the Earth (your O' frame)? +x' or -x'?

Last edited:
Oh. I didnt include the Earth's frame initally. Instead I just went with two water frames - one stationary and the other moving at v wrt the stationary water.

If I include a water frame and a Earth frame, however, O' to be the frame of the water is definately also the natural choice for me !

Working with this, I would follow the same argument as my first post. That V=+v (whilst I note that in the question it only specifies v as a speed). And that x=st.

OK. O is the Earth frame and O' is the water frame. Light is traveling through the water while the water is moving at speed v relative to the earth. From the perspective of the O frame, both the water and the light are traveling in the positive x direction.

Would you write x = st, or would you write x' = st' ?

I am still getting x=st.
x' is the position vector in frame O' = velocity of light in O' x t' , but velocity of light in O' is unknown.
Whereas we know that in frame O the speed of the light is s, so x=st.

So, we need to interpret the phrase "Let s be the speed of light through water". To me, that means the speed of light relative to the water. Since O' is the frame moving with the water, s would be the speed of light in the O' frame.

I interpret it as s is the speed of light with respect to the stationary water, and that the unknown speed is the speed of light wrt water moving at speed v.

binbagsss said:
I interpret it as s is the speed of light with respect to the stationary water, and that the unknown speed is the speed of light wrt water moving at speed v.

I agree that s is the speed of light wrt the stationary water. So, s is the speed of the light wrt to frame O'. (The water is at rest relative to frame O').

The unknown speed is the speed of the light wrt to Earth frame (the O frame). That's my interpretation anyway. And it leads to the same answer that you said was given for the problem.

Related to Special Relativity quick problem

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains how objects move at high speeds. It is based on the idea that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

2. What is the significance of the speed of light in special relativity?

The speed of light, denoted by the letter c, plays a crucial role in special relativity as it is the maximum speed at which all objects can travel. This means that no object can exceed the speed of light, and light itself always travels at this speed in a vacuum.

3. How does special relativity affect our perception of time and space?

Special relativity introduces the concept of time dilation, which means that time appears to pass slower for objects moving at high speeds. It also explains length contraction, where objects moving at high speeds appear shorter in the direction of their motion. These effects are only noticeable at extremely high speeds, but have been proven to be true through experiments.

4. Can special relativity be applied to everyday situations?

Yes, special relativity can be applied to everyday situations, although the effects are usually too small to notice. GPS satellites, for example, have to take into account the effects of special relativity in order to accurately calculate positions on Earth.

5. Is special relativity still considered a valid theory today?

Yes, special relativity is still considered a valid theory today and has been confirmed by countless experiments and observations. It has also been successfully integrated into other areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics, to create a more complete understanding of the universe.