Spark discharge apparatus replacement wire

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with their Year 10 physics class and the spark gap apparatus they are using. The wire in the apparatus appears to be pitted, causing issues with the spark discharge. They are wondering if it is possible to replace the wire with a different type or gauge. Suggestions include using a thicker wire, such as 16 or 18 gauge, and ensuring proper insulation for any replacements made with Constantan or Nichrome wire. Additionally, adjusting the EHT voltage may also help with the issue.
Julian Dance
Hello there, looking for some help! I am currently teaching ionising radiation to my Year 10 physics class and I have been making frequent use of our spark gap apparatus, which is an old Griffin & George unit. This has been hidden away on a shelf in the prep room along with the EHT supply, deflection tubes and other magical apparatus. Now I have recalled it from 'retirement' I am having a problem with the actual spark discharge, in that the wire apprears to be pitted, and hence sparks are only jumping across at the same position when an alpha source is brought close. The EHT is reduced to just below the sparking threshold so I do not think it is a problem of too high a voltage (about 3.5kV). Is it possible to replace the wire, and if so with what type and what gauge? We have reels of Constantan and nichrome at all different gauges and I just wanted to see if anybody had replaced the wire or tried something similar? Many thanks, Julian.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, replacing the wire of a spark gap apparatus is not something I have done before. However, I have seen others suggest using a thicker wire, such as a 16 or 18 gauge wire, to replace the original wire in the spark gap apparatus. This should help reduce any pitting that may be occurring due to the current running through the wire. It may also help to adjust the EHT voltage slightly to reduce the amount of current running through the wire. Additionally, if you are using Constantan or Nichrome wire for the replacement, it is important to make sure that the wire is properly insulated to prevent any potential shocks or damage to the equipment. I hope this helps!

Related to Spark discharge apparatus replacement wire

1. How often does the spark discharge apparatus replacement wire need to be replaced?

The frequency of replacing the spark discharge apparatus replacement wire depends on the usage and maintenance of the apparatus. It is recommended to inspect the wire regularly for signs of wear and tear and replace it if necessary.

2. What is the purpose of the spark discharge apparatus replacement wire?

The spark discharge apparatus replacement wire is an essential component that conducts the electric current and creates a spark to initiate the discharge process. It is necessary for the proper functioning of the apparatus.

3. Can any wire be used as a replacement for the spark discharge apparatus wire?

No, the spark discharge apparatus replacement wire is designed for a specific purpose and requires specific properties such as high conductivity and resistance to high temperatures. It is important to use the recommended wire for safety and effectiveness.

4. Is it possible to repair a damaged spark discharge apparatus replacement wire?

In some cases, a damaged wire can be repaired. However, it is recommended to replace the wire to ensure the safety and reliability of the apparatus. Attempting to repair the wire may affect its conductivity and cause further damage.

5. Can the spark discharge apparatus replacement wire be reused?

No, the spark discharge apparatus replacement wire is designed for single-use only. Reusing the wire may affect its performance and can be hazardous. It is important to always use a new replacement wire for each use of the apparatus.

Back