Space of lipschitz functions: two metrics are topologically equivalent

In summary, we have proven that ##(Lip_{M}(ℝ),d_∞)## and ##(Lip_{M}(ℝ),d_1)## are topologically equivalent, as the identity map is continuous in both directions. However, we have also shown that they are not equivalent, as there exists a function that is M-Lipschitz but not M-integrable, demonstrating that the metrics are not equivalent.
mahler1
Homework Statement .
Let ##Lip_{M}(ℝ)##={##f: [0,1]→ℝ : |f(x)-f(y)|≤M|x-y|##}. Prove that ##(Lip_{M}(ℝ),d_∞)## and ##(Lip_{M}(ℝ),d_1)## are topologically equivalent but not equivalent. ##d_∞(f,g)=Sup_{x \in [0,1]}|f(x)-g(x)|## ##d_1(f,g)=\int_0^1 |f(x)-g(x)|dx##

The attempt at a solution.
I am having a hard time with this exercise, is similar to the last one I've posted but in a different space. As in that problem, I've tried to prove that the identity map is homeomorphic between the metric spaces ##(Lip_{M}(ℝ),d_∞)## and ##(Lip_{M}(ℝ),d_1)##. First, I want to prove that ##Id:(Lip_{M}(ℝ),d_∞)##→##(Lip_{M}(ℝ),d_1)## is continuous. So I take ##f \in (Lip_{M}(ℝ),d_1)## and for a given ##ε>0##, there exists ##δ_{ε,f}## such that if ##d_∞(f,g)=Sup_{x \in [0,1]}|f(x)-g(x)|< → d_1(f,g)=\int_0^1 |f(x)-g(x)|dx<ε##
In that case, we have ##|f(x)-g(x)|≤Sup_{x \in [0,1]}|f(x)-g(x)|##, so ##\int_0^1 |f(x)-g(x)|dx≤\int_0^1 Sup_{x \in [0,1]}|f(x)-g(x)|dx=Sup_{x \in [0,1]}|f(x)-g(x)|##. If we consider ##δ_{ε,f}=ε##, then the identity is continuous at every element f of the space.

It remains to prove that ##Id:(Lip_{M}(ℝ),d_1)→(Lip_{M}(ℝ),d_∞)## and in this part I got stuck, I suppose I must use the fact that the functions are "M-lipschitz" somewhere and I am still trying to find a counterexample to prove that the metrics are not equivalent.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any help or hint would be appreciated. Thank you.

To prove that ##Id:(Lip_{M}(ℝ),d_1)→(Lip_{M}(ℝ),d_∞)## is continuous, we can use a similar approach as before. For a given ##f \in (Lip_{M}(ℝ),d_∞)## and ##ε>0##, there exists ##δ_{ε,f}## such that if ##d_1(f,g)=\int_0^1 |f(x)-g(x)|dx<ε##, then ##d_∞(f,g)=Sup_{x \in [0,1]}|f(x)-g(x)|≤M\int_0^1 |f(x)-g(x)|dx<ε##. Therefore, we can take ##δ_{ε,f}=\frac{ε}{M}## and the identity map is continuous.

To show that the metrics are not equivalent, we need to find a function that is M-Lipschitz but not M-integrable. Consider the function ##f(x)=x## for ##x \in [0,1]##. This function is M-Lipschitz with ##M=1##, since ##|f(x)-f(y)|=|x-y|≤M|x-y|## for all ##x,y \in [0,1]##. However, ##\int_0^1 |f(x)-g(x)|dx=\int_0^1 |x-g(x)|dx## is not finite for any function ##g(x)##, since the integral will always be infinite. Therefore, this function is M-Lipschitz but not M-integrable, showing that the metrics are not equivalent.

Related to Space of lipschitz functions: two metrics are topologically equivalent

What is meant by "Space of Lipschitz functions"?

The space of Lipschitz functions refers to a collection of continuous functions that satisfy the Lipschitz condition, which states that the distance between the outputs of the function at any two points in its domain is always proportional to the distance between the input points.

What do we mean by "two metrics are topologically equivalent" in this context?

In this context, two metrics are considered topologically equivalent if they produce the same topology on the space of Lipschitz functions. This means that the same sets are considered open or closed under both metrics, and the same convergence behavior is observed.

Why is it important to study the space of Lipschitz functions?

The space of Lipschitz functions is important because it includes a wide range of functions that are useful in various mathematical and scientific applications. These functions have nice properties, such as being differentiable almost everywhere, and can be used to approximate more complex functions.

What are some applications of the space of Lipschitz functions?

The space of Lipschitz functions has applications in many areas, including optimization, numerical analysis, and differential equations. It is used to approximate solutions to differential equations, find extrema of functions, and solve optimization problems.

What is the relationship between the space of Lipschitz functions and other function spaces?

The space of Lipschitz functions is a subset of the space of continuous functions, and it is contained within the space of differentiable functions. It also has connections to other function spaces, such as Sobolev spaces and Hölder spaces. Understanding the relationships between these spaces can provide insights into the properties and behaviors of Lipschitz functions.