Sources of Error in Flame Test Lab

In summary: This could affect the color being emitted. In summary, sources of error in a flame test lab can include contamination of the wire used to hold the substances, subjectivity in color perception, differences in lighting, and presence of dust particles in the atmosphere. These factors can affect the creation, detection, and comparison of colors emitted during the experiment.
GiantSheeps

Homework Statement

In a flame test lab, where different unknown substances are heated and the identity of the substance is determined by the color emitted, what can be some sources of error?

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I need three sources of error, and so far I have this one:
Even when cleaning the wire off thoroughly, small, residual amounts of liquid may still contaminate the wire, thus altering the shade of the color that is emitted by the heated substance.

So I need two more, I considered the fact that a lot of times the appearance of color is subjective, so what one person sees or considers to be a certain color may not technically be that color, but I'm not sure if that makes sense as a source of experimental error.

So I still need two more. Any tips/hints/help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi GiantSheeps:

Here is a suggestion for one possibility. Think about the effects of the lighting illuminating the lab space, incandescent vs. fluorescent for example.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Likes GiantSheeps
I would definitely try to find errors in:
- the way the color is created
- the way the color is detected
- the way the color is compared to the reference colors

Likes GiantSheeps
Maybe loose dust particles from the atmosphere got into the flame.

Likes GiantSheeps

Related to Sources of Error in Flame Test Lab

1. What is a flame test lab?

A flame test lab is an experiment used to identify the presence of certain elements in a substance by observing the color of the flame produced when the substance is burned.

2. What are some common sources of error in a flame test lab?

Some common sources of error in a flame test lab include contamination of the substance being tested, impurities in the chemicals used, variations in the intensity of the flame, and human error in observing and recording the color of the flame.

3. How can contamination affect the results of a flame test lab?

If the substance being tested is contaminated with other elements or substances, it can produce a different color in the flame than expected. This can lead to incorrect identification of the elements present in the substance.

4. How can impurities in chemicals affect the outcome of a flame test lab?

If the chemicals used in the flame test lab are impure or contain other elements, they can produce unexpected colors in the flame and lead to incorrect identification of the elements present in the substance being tested.

5. How can variations in the intensity of the flame affect the results of a flame test lab?

If the flame used in the experiment is not consistent in intensity, it can affect the color produced and make it difficult to accurately identify the elements present in the substance being tested. It is important to use a stable and consistent flame for reliable results.