Somewhat wierd question for Elec Eng.Nickel plating and electrochemical equivalents

In summary: Finally look up the density of nickel and write it down.In summary, the conversation discusses the process of nickel-plating a plate to a specified thickness of 0.15mm in three and a half hours. The electrochemical equivalent of nickel, which is 0.305mg/C, and the density of nickel, which is 8778kg/m^3, are provided. The task is to calculate the surface area of the plate that can be plated to the specified thickness with a current of 12.4Amps.
Totter
1.A plate is to be nickel-plated to a thickness of 0.15mm in three and a half hours. The electrochemical equivalent of nickel is 0.305mg/C and the density of nickel is 8778kg/m^3 .Calculate the surface area of the plate that can be plated to the specified thickness with current of 12.4Amps.

Ok soo " m=zIt " would only get me soo far and I really don't have a clue even in which UNITS this must first go to.My Book is extremely vague on the matter and don't know what you would call this on google :(

Physics news on Phys.org

Totter said:
1.A plate is to be nickel-plated to a thickness of 0.15mm in three and a half hours. The electrochemical equivalent of nickel is 0.305mg/C and the density of nickel is 8778kg/m^3 .Calculate the surface area of the plate that can be plated to the specified thickness with current of 12.4Amps.

Ok soo " m=zIt " would only get me soo far and I really don't have a clue even in which UNITS this must first go to.My Book is extremely vague on the matter and don't know what you would call this on google :(

Hi Totter, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Go step by step and see if you can work out what's required and whether or not the information is provided.

First write a formula that relates the required mass of nickel given plate area and thickness of the coating.

Next look at the given " electrochemical equivalent of nickel is 0.305mg/C". What do you suppose the units are telling you?

Related to Somewhat wierd question for Elec Eng.Nickel plating and electrochemical equivalents

1. What is nickel plating and how does it work?

Nickel plating is a process where a thin layer of nickel is deposited onto a metal surface through an electrochemical reaction. This is achieved by immersing the metal to be plated, known as the substrate, in an electrolyte solution and passing an electric current through it. The nickel ions in the solution are attracted to the substrate and are reduced to form a smooth, even layer of nickel on the surface.

2. What are the benefits of nickel plating?

Nickel plating offers several benefits, including increased corrosion resistance, improved wear resistance, and enhanced aesthetic appeal. It also provides a surface that is easier to clean and maintain, and can act as a barrier against harmful chemicals or substances.

3. Are there any potential drawbacks to nickel plating?

While nickel plating has many advantages, there are also some potential drawbacks to consider. One issue is that nickel is a relatively soft metal, so it may not be suitable for applications that require high levels of hardness. Additionally, nickel plating can be expensive and time-consuming, especially for large-scale projects.

4. Can any metal be nickel plated?

Most metals can be nickel plated, including steel, copper, brass, and zinc. However, some metals may require additional preparation or pre-treatment before the plating process can begin. It is best to consult with a professional to determine if your specific metal can be nickel plated.

5. How long does nickel plating last?

The durability of nickel plating can vary depending on several factors such as the thickness of the plating, the type of substrate, and the environmental conditions it is exposed to. Generally, nickel plating can last for several years, but regular maintenance and proper care can extend its lifespan.