Solving Trigonometric Equations on Mobile

So, if we have 1 + cos2 θ = 2 - sin2 θ, then we can also say that 1 + cos2 θ = 1 + 1 - sin2 θ. It's just a different way of writing the same thing.In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between sin^2 theta - cos^2 theta and 1, as well as the relationship between 1 + cos^2 theta and sin^2 theta. The conversation also touches on the fundamental pythagorean identity and how it can be manipulated to simplify equations involving trigonometric functions.
CrossFit415
I'm on mobile so I can't use latex..

sin^2 theta - cos^2 theta is not the same thing as one?

If I had a problem say... 1 + cos^2 theta would that equal to sin^2 theta? Or -sin^2 theta? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
CrossFit415 said:
I'm on mobile so I can't use latex..

sin^2 theta - cos^2 theta is not the same thing as one?[/tex]
No, it isn't.
[tex]\sin^2 \theta + \cos^2 \theta = 1[/tex]

If I had a problem say... 1 + cos^2 theta would that equal to sin^2 theta? Or -sin^2 theta? Thanks
Neither.
[tex]1 + \cos^2 \theta = 2 - \sin^2 \theta[/tex]

Do you see why?

I don't understand how there is a two there.

CrossFit415 said:
I don't understand how there is a two there.

Do you understand why [tex]\sin^2 \theta + \cos^2 \theta = 1[/tex] is true?

Once you understand that identity, what do you have to do to the equation to get:

[tex]1 + \cos^2 \theta = 2 - \sin^2 \theta[/tex]

?

[tex]
1 + \cos^2 \theta = 2 - \sin^2 \theta
[/tex]

Think of it this way. If you start from the fundamental pythag. identity:
sin²x + cos²x = 1

You can subtract the sine over so you get:

cos²x = 1-sin²x

Now, 2-sin²x is really the same as
1+1-sin²x

isn't it?

Can you see where I am going with this?

QuarkCharmer said:
[tex]
1 + \cos^2 \theta = 2 - \sin^2 \theta
[/tex]

Think of it this way. If you start from the fundamental pythag. identity:
sin²x + cos²x = 1

You can subtract the sine over so you get:

cos²x = 1-sin²x

Now, 2-sin²x is really the same as
1+1-sin²x

isn't it?

Can you see where I am going with this?

I understand how we move the sine to the right. That would equal to 1-sin²x. But where did the 1 come from that made it 1+1 = 2? All I see is 1-sin²x. So -sin²x can also have a 1 infront of it? Sorry for the frustration.

So If I do the same thing for cos²x, then
sin²x = 1-cos²x
sin²x = 1+1-cos²x
sin²x = 2-cos²x ?

You can't add 1 to only one side of the equation. You have to do the same thing to both sides of the equation.

Oh, I thought that you were trying to verify that identity, but I see that someone else posted it. What exactly is the problem that you are working on, can you post it in it's entirety?

A great deal of times, when a trig identity has something that would use the pyth. identity, the multiplication of conjugates is needed to get it into the right form.

It didn't sound like a HW question, so I just posted what I thought it would simplify to, in order for the OP to see that the Pythagorean identity can be written in different ways.

CrossFit415 said:
I understand how we move the sine to the right. That would equal to 1-sin²x. But where did the 1 come from that made it 1+1 = 2? All I see is 1-sin²x. So -sin²x can also have a 1 infront of it? Sorry for the frustration.
The 1 came from the expression that you gave in the OP!
1 + cos2 θ

All we are doing is replacing the cos2 θ with 1 - sin2 θ:
1 + 1 - sin2 θ = 2 - sin2 θ

Related to Solving Trigonometric Equations on Mobile

1. How can I solve trigonometric equations on my mobile device?

There are various mobile applications available that allow you to solve trigonometric equations. These apps are specifically designed for mobile devices and offer a user-friendly interface for solving equations.

2. Is there a specific app or calculator I should use for solving trigonometric equations on my mobile?

There are many options available for solving trigonometric equations on mobile, such as Desmos, Mathway, and WolframAlpha. It ultimately depends on your personal preference and the features you are looking for.

3. Can I solve complex trigonometric equations on my mobile device?

Yes, most of the apps and calculators designed for solving trigonometric equations on mobile have the capability to solve complex equations. However, some features may be limited on the free versions of these apps.

4. Are there any limitations to solving trigonometric equations on mobile?

There may be some limitations depending on the app or calculator you are using. Some free versions may have limited features, and some complex equations may not be solvable on mobile devices due to the smaller screen size.

5. Can I save or export my solved trigonometric equations from my mobile device?

Most apps and calculators allow you to save or export your solved equations. Some may require a paid version to access this feature. You can also take a screenshot of your solved equation on your mobile device.