Solving trig equations involving aperiodic functions

In summary, the conversation discussed finding values for the variable x in a trigonometric equation on a restricted domain. It was mentioned that the values for x can be found by setting the equation equal to a specific value and using a general solution. It was also noted that the solutions can be complex numbers if the variable k is not restricted to positive integers. The conversation ended with a clarification on the notation used for the set of positive integers.
Serious Max

Homework Statement

kcfVccY.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

C)

Principal domain:

[tex]-\dfrac{\pi}{2}\leq 2x^2+x-1\leq \dfrac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

[tex]-1.41099 \leq x \leq 0.91099[/tex]

Next:

[tex]\sin(2x^2+x-1)=\dfrac{2}{5}[/tex]

[tex]2x^2+x-1=\arcsin(\dfrac{2}{5})[/tex]

[tex]x_1=-1.1265; x_2=0.62650[/tex]

Since [tex]\sin(\theta)=-\sin(\theta)+\pi[/tex] we get:

[tex]\sin(-(2x^2+x-1)+\pi)=\dfrac{2}{5}[/tex]

[tex]-2x^2-x+1+\pi=\arcsin(\dfrac{2}{5})[/tex]

Hence:

[tex]x_3=1.1384; x_4=-1.6384[/tex]

Although, I wouldn't be able to find any more values of x by the methods I have been introduced to, since the functions is aperiodic.By the same method I can find two values of x in D), but that's it. Although, I think they want me to do something else, rather than values for x.
P.S. Also, I haven't been introduced to solving trig equations with aperiodic functions, so it must be that they want to stretch me a little. So the tasks are probably rigged somehow, like in the case of C) I can find exactly four values with the methods I've been shown (well, as I understand), and that's what they want from me in the problem.

So, I guess it must be similar with the D) task, but I can't figure it out.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If ##\sin(a) = \frac{2}{5}##, what are all the possible values for ##a##?

maxpancho said:
Principal domain:

[tex]-\dfrac{\pi}{2}\leq 2x^2+x-1\leq \dfrac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

Where does this come from? Why must ##x## satisfy this? This isn't given in the question.

It's just a procedure from my book to find 1 value (well, in this case there are two, because this problem involves a quadratic function) on this restricted domain and then work from it deriving general solutions.

micromass said:
If ##\sin(a) = \frac{2}{5}##, what are all the possible values for ##a##?

Well, in this case
## a=-(\arcsin(\dfrac{2}{5})-\pi) ##

Last edited:
Oh wait, so I guess then:

## 2x^2+x-1=-(\arcsin(\dfrac{2}{5})-\pi) ## ?

maxpancho said:
It's just a procedure from my book to find 1 value (well, in this case there are two, because this problem involves a quadratic function) on this restricted domain and then work from it deriving general solutions.

Well, in this case
## a=-(\arcsin(\dfrac{2}{5})-\pi) ##

Those are not all the possible values for ##a##, but ok, setting

[tex]2x^2 + x -1 = -(\arcsin(\dfrac{2}{5})-\pi)[/tex]

should work.

Yes, I fixed it, forgot to include something:

## a=-(\arcsin(\dfrac{2}{5})-\pi +2k \pi), k \in \mathbb Z ##

Last edited:
maxpancho said:
Yes, I fixed it, forgot to include something:

## a=-(\arcsin(\dfrac{2}{5})-\pi +2k \pi), k \in \mathbb Z ##

Those are still not all the solutions, for example ##\arcsin(2/5)## isn't included in there.

Likes 1 person
Right... Silly me. But I get the idea.

## a=\arcsin(\dfrac{2}{5})+2k \pi, k \in \mathbb Z #### a=-\arcsin(\dfrac{2}{5})+\pi +2k \pi, k \in \mathbb Z ##

Last edited:
maxpancho said:
Right... Silly me. But I get the idea.

## a=\arcsin(\dfrac{2}{5})+2k \pi, k \in \mathbb Z ##

## a=-\arcsin(\dfrac{2}{5})+\pi +2k \pi, k \in \mathbb Z ##

Right, and all individual values for k give us a solution. So this can be used to find many solutions of your original equation.

Oh, actually I just noted that ## k \notin \mathbb Z## but rather ## k \in \mathbb W ##. Otherwise the solutions are complex numbers. And any ##k \in \mathbb W## will give both negative and positive solutions.

Has to do with the "quadraticity" of the function.

maxpancho said:
Oh, actually I just noted that ## k \notin \mathbb Z## but rather ## k \in \mathbb W ##. Otherwise the solutions are complex numbers. And any ##k \in \mathbb W## will give both negative and positive solutions.

Has to do with the "quadraticity" of the function.
What is ##\mathbb W \ ?##

Whole numbers. I wasn't sure if you could denote it like that, but I did :).

Well, I guess it actually isn't allowed, so then it should be ## k \in \mathbb N, k=0 ##

Or maybe like this http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Z-Star.html

So ## k \in \mathbb{Z}^+ ##

Related to Solving trig equations involving aperiodic functions

1. What are aperiodic functions?

Aperiodic functions are mathematical functions that do not repeat themselves over a specific interval or pattern. This means that their graphs do not have any repeating patterns or cycles.

2. How do you solve trig equations involving aperiodic functions?

To solve trig equations involving aperiodic functions, you can use a variety of methods such as substitution, factoring, or using trigonometric identities. It is important to also consider the domain of the function to ensure that the solution is valid.

3. What are some examples of aperiodic functions?

Some examples of aperiodic functions are exponential functions, logarithmic functions, and trigonometric functions like tangent and cotangent. These functions do not have any repeating patterns and their graphs continue to increase or decrease without end.

4. Can aperiodic functions have repeating patterns?

No, aperiodic functions do not have any repeating patterns. This is what sets them apart from periodic functions, which have a predictable and repeating pattern.

5. What is the importance of solving trig equations involving aperiodic functions?

Solving trig equations involving aperiodic functions is important in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, astronomy, and electrical engineering. These equations can help us model and understand real-world phenomena, making it crucial to be able to solve them accurately.