Solving Trig Applications: Docking Safety in Seaports

In summary: I'm not sure what you mean by using a reference angle. can you explain further?Sure. You're solving ##\sin\theta=a## for ##\theta##. You can do this in two steps: first solve ##\sin\theta=a## for ##\theta##, and then adjust your answer to be in the correct quadrant. To solve ##\sin\theta=a## for ##\theta##, you take the inverse sine of both sides of the equation: ##\theta=\sin^{-1}a##. This gives you one solution in ##[-\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2}]##. But there are infinitely many solutions to this equation, because the sine function is periodic
tsaitea
By using the averages of high and low tide levels. The depth of the water in a seaport can be approximated by the sinusoid d=3.2sin0.166pi(t-2.5)+14.1 where d is the depth and t is the hours after midnight. if a ship needs at least 12 m of water in a seaport to dock safely, how long could the ship dock safely for?

What I have tried so far... My attempt at this problem is to find the two points where the wave intersects y=12 and subtract the two points.
12=3.2sin0.166pi(t-2.5)+14.1
t=2.5+(asin((12-14.1)/3.2)/(0.166pi))=1.12
second solution is pi-1.12=2.02
subtracting the two gives me 0.90 hours which is incorrect the answer is 8.769 hours.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're finding your multiple answers in the wrong manner. There are two solutions in ##[-\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{3\pi}{2})## to the equation ##\frac{12-14.1}{3.2}=\sin\theta##; call them ##\theta_1## and ##\theta_2##. You'd then solve ##0.166\pi(t-2.5)=\theta_1## and ##0.166\pi(t-2.5)=\theta_2## to get the first two times greater than ##0## where the tide was at ##12##.

Now you should find some way to justify to yourself (a) why these are the first two solutions and (b) why their difference gives you the answer to the question that was asked.

Okay, so I solved for theta1 and theta2 and got the positive angles to be 3.8 rads and 5.6 rads. I got there by plotting down the corresponding angle for -0.716 rads and the other solution for this angle which would be in quadrant 3. I then added pi to that 0.716 to get 3.8 and then I subtracted 2pi from 0.716 to get 5.6. Am I on the right track?

You correctly found the first solution, ##-0.716## (by plugging and chugging with a calculator, I'm guessing), but you failed to recognize it as one of the solutions that I suggested you look for. You also correctly found the second solution, ##3.8##; it looks like by using a reference angle in the third quadrant.

##5.6## is a solution, but it's not one of the ones that I suggested you look for. I'd also note that you subtracted your reference angle from ##2\pi## to get this solution, not the other way around as you wrote it. I'm guessing that was maybe just a typo, but just in case ...

Related to Solving Trig Applications: Docking Safety in Seaports

1. What is the purpose of solving trig applications in docking safety in seaports?

The purpose of solving trig applications in docking safety in seaports is to ensure the safe and efficient movement of ships and boats in and out of a seaport. Trigonometry is used to calculate and predict the position, speed, and direction of vessels, as well as to determine the best course of action for safe navigation.

2. What are some common trigonometric applications used in docking safety in seaports?

Some common trigonometric applications used in docking safety in seaports include determining the distance between two ships, calculating the angle of approach for docking, and predicting the height of tides to avoid grounding. Trigonometry is also used to measure the size and shape of docks and piers, and to determine the optimal placement of navigation aids such as buoys and lighthouses.

3. How does solving trig applications improve safety in seaports?

Solving trig applications improves safety in seaports by providing accurate and precise calculations for ship movements and navigation. This allows for better planning and decision-making, reducing the risk of collisions, groundings, and other accidents. Trigonometry also helps to account for factors such as wind, current, and tides, which can affect the safety of docking and navigation in seaports.

4. What tools and techniques are used to solve trig applications in docking safety?

Some common tools and techniques used to solve trig applications in docking safety include trigonometric equations, the Pythagorean theorem, and the use of trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. Advanced technologies such as GPS and radar systems also incorporate trigonometric principles to aid in safe navigation.

5. How does the study of trigonometry contribute to the overall understanding of docking safety in seaports?

The study of trigonometry plays a crucial role in understanding docking safety in seaports by providing a mathematical framework for analyzing and predicting ship movements and navigation. It also helps to identify potential hazards and determine the best course of action to avoid accidents. Additionally, the application of trigonometry in seaports can lead to the development of new and improved safety protocols and technologies.