Solving the Conundrum of Three Positive Integers

In summary, the question asks for three consecutive positive integers whose sum of the square of the first and the product of the other two is 46. The answer is 4, 5, 6, as 4*4 + 5*6 = 46.
aaronstonedd
1. Three consecutive positive integers are such that the sum of the squares of the first two and the product of the other two is 46. Find the numbers. Variables: x. Three numbers: (x), (x + 1), (x + 2)

2. (I think, although I'm not sure.) x2 + (x + 1)2 + (x + 1)(x + 2) = 46

x2 + (x + 1)2 + (x + 1)(x + 2) = 46
⇒ x2 + x2 + 1 + 2x + x2 + 3x + 2 = 46
⇒ 3x2 + 5x + 3 = 46
⇒ 3x2 + 5x - 43 = 0
⇒ x2 + (5/3)x - 43/3 = 0/3
⇒ x2 + (2)(5/6)(x) + (5/3)2 - (5/3)2 - 43/3 = 0
⇒ (x + 5/6)2 = 43/3 + 25/36
⇒ (x + 5/6)2 = 516 + 25/36 = 541/36

Now this means x + 5/6 is NOT a perfect square. And that means the three consecutive positive integers will also not be positive integers.

That is my predicament, of which I seek riddance.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi aaronstonedd! welcome to pf! :smile:
aaronstonedd said:
1. Three consecutive positive integers are such that the sum of the squares of the first two and the product of the other two is 46. Find the numbers. Variables: x. Three numbers: (x), (x + 1), (x + 2)

2. (I think, although I'm not sure.) x2 + (x + 1)2 + (x + 1)(x + 2) = 46

well, that can't be right …

the first two terms are one odd and one even, and the third term is even, so the total is odd, ≠ 46 :redface:

perhaps it means the product of the outer two?

(and perhaps it means 96 ?)

So you're saying that even + odd + even = odd. That's right, because even + odd = odd. But it's also possible for three consecutive positive integers to be odd + even + odd which is equal to even!

Is the above argument valid?

Are you sure that the sum is not 45?

ehild

To ehild: Yes, I'm sure. Only the answer is given, from where I've got the question. The answer given is 4,5,6 although I'm not sure how that fits into the question's conditions.

The main problem I'm facing is interpreting the question and representing it mathematically.

1. Three consecutive positive integers are such that the sum of the square of the first and the product of the other two is 46. Find the numbers.

aaronstonedd said:
The answer given is 4,5,6

4*4 + 5*6 = 46 :wink:

tiny-tim said:
1. Three consecutive positive integers are such that the sum of the square of the first and the product of the other two is 46. Find the numbers.

4*4 + 5*6 = 46 :wink:

Ingenious! :cool:

ehild

Thank you tiny-tim, for correcting the question. I've often noticed that if a question seems absurd or solving it gives odd results, then something in the question is probably wrong :wink:.

My query is solved. Thanks all!

Last edited:

Related to Solving the Conundrum of Three Positive Integers

1. What is the conundrum of three positive integers?

The conundrum of three positive integers is a mathematical problem that involves finding three numbers that satisfy specific conditions or equations. It is often used as a puzzle or challenge in mathematics and can have multiple solutions.

2. What are the conditions for solving the conundrum of three positive integers?

The conditions for solving the conundrum of three positive integers vary depending on the specific problem or equation given. However, some common conditions include the numbers being distinct, positive integers, and satisfying a certain equation or relationship.

3. How do you approach solving the conundrum of three positive integers?

There is no one specific approach to solving the conundrum of three positive integers as it depends on the given conditions and equations. However, some common strategies include trial and error, algebraic manipulation, and using number properties or patterns.

4. Are there any tips or tricks for solving the conundrum of three positive integers?

Yes, there are some tips and tricks that can help in solving the conundrum of three positive integers. These include breaking the problem down into simpler parts, looking for patterns or relationships between the numbers, and considering all possible solutions before ruling any out.

5. Why is the conundrum of three positive integers important?

The conundrum of three positive integers is important because it helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also has practical applications in fields such as cryptography, data encryption, and coding theory. Additionally, solving these types of problems can be a fun and engaging way to learn and apply mathematical concepts.