Solving the Beta Function Problem: Integrating (2-x)/(2+x)^(1/2) from -2 to 2

In summary, the person is stuck on the second part of the problem, and doesn't know how to get rid of the square root.
MisterMan

Homework Statement

[tex]\int_{-2}^{2}\left(\frac{2-x}{2+x}\right)^{1/2}\hspace{1mm}dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]B(p,q) = \int_0^{\infty}\frac{y^{p-1}}{(1+y)^{p+q}}\hspace{1mm}dy[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am completely stuck on this one, just a total mental block. The answer in the book says:

"First put u = x + 2. Then put u = 4t. Answer = [tex]2\pi[/tex]"

I'll take you through what I done, but I got nowhere near the Beta function form I require:

[tex]u = x + 2\hspace{1mm}=>\hspace{1mm}4 - u = 2 - x[/tex]

Also: du = dx. So:

[tex]\int_{0}^{4}\left(\frac{4-u}{u}\right)^{1/2}\hspace{1mm}du[/tex]

So now I thought to do the second part ( set u = 4t ):

[tex]u = 4t => du = 4 dt[/tex]

[tex]4\int_{0}^{1}\left(\frac{4-4t}{4t}\right)^{1/2}\hspace{1mm}dt[/tex]

And I take out four as a common factor:

[tex]4\int_{0}^{1}\left(\frac{1-t}{t}\right)^{1/2}\hspace{1mm}dt[/tex]

I don't have a clue on how to proceed, it is nowhere near the equation I need, I'm not sure how to get rid of the square root, or even "turn it upside down", but even then that doesn't work because I have 1 - t and I require something like 1 + t. I would really appreciate any help on this, thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int_0^1 \left(\frac{1-t}{t}\right)^{1/2}dt=\int_0^1 \left(\frac{1}{t}-1\right)^{1/2}dt[/tex]

Now, you want the limits to go from zero to infinity. So looking at the integrand, what would I have to let say v=f(t) be so that when I plug in t=0 I get infinity but when I plug in t=1 I get zero?

Also, look at Wikipedia on the beta function to get familiar with it.

what would I have to let say v=f(t) be so that when I plug in t=0 I get infinity but when I plug in t=1 I get zero?

I think you mixed the two boundaries of the integral up.

When you plug in t = 0 into v you want 0, and similarly when you plug in t = 1 into v you want infinity.

Because the resulting boundaries you want are from 0 to infinity, right?

Just let:

[tex]v=1/t-1[/tex] and work it through. Then switch the limits of integration.

jackmell said:
Just let:

[tex]v=1/t-1[/tex] and work it through. Then switch the limits of integration.

Your solution doesn't make sense. It doesn't give me the limits I need and it isn't in the form I need it either.

MisterMan said:
[tex]4\int_{0}^{1}\left(\frac{4-4t}{4t}\right)^{1/2}\hspace{1mm}dt[/tex]

And I take out four as a common factor:

[STRIKE]Wouldn't you be factoring out 4/4 = 1? So wouldn't the factor outside still be 1? Or am I just being silly here...Anyway, I hope this helps: [/STRIKE]
EDIT: yep...I was just being silly. I realized where your 4 came from finally haha.

= [tex]4\int_{0}^{1}\left(t^{-1/2}(1-t)^{1/2}\right)} \ dt[/tex]

= [tex]4\int_{0}^{1}\left(t^{1/2 \ - \ 1}(1-t)^{3/2 \ - \ 1}\right)} \ dt[/tex]

= [tex]4B(1/2, \ 3/2)[/tex]

= [tex]8\int_{0}^{\pi / 2}\left(sin(\theta)^{2(1/2) \ - \ 1}cos(\theta)^{2(3/2) \ - \ 1}\right)} \ d\theta[/tex]

= [tex]8\int_{0}^{\pi / 2}\left(sin(\theta)^{0}cos(\theta)^{2}\right)} \ d\theta[/tex]

= [tex]8[.5(\theta + sin(\theta)cos(\theta))|_{0}^{\pi/2}[/tex]

= [tex] 4(\pi /2) [/tex]

= [tex] 2\pi. [/tex]

Thanks Raskolnikov, I've gotten so frustrated with that problem over the last day. I seemed to be too obsessed with getting the problem in the form:

[tex]B(p,q) = \int_0^{\infty}\frac{y^{p-1}}{(1+y)^{p+q}}\hspace{1mm}dy[/tex]

That I took no notice of it being any in other form. ( Actually I'm a little confused why it is in a different form to the one I described initially, it was in a section dedicated to those types of Beta functions). Anyway, thanks everyone for your help :)

Related to Solving the Beta Function Problem: Integrating (2-x)/(2+x)^(1/2) from -2 to 2

What is the Beta Function Problem?

The Beta Function Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the integral of the Beta function, which is defined as:

B(x,y) = ∫01 tx-1 (1-t)y-1 dt

This problem is important in statistics and has various applications in areas such as probability theory, physics, and engineering.

What is the solution to the Beta Function Problem?

The solution to the Beta Function Problem is given by the Beta function itself, which is a special function that cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions. It can be approximated numerically using various methods such as the Gauss-Legendre quadrature, Simpson's rule, or Monte Carlo integration.

What are the properties of the Beta function?

The Beta function has several important properties, including:
• Symmetry: B(x,y) = B(y,x)
• Recurrence relation: B(x+1,y) = B(x,y) + B(x,y+1)
• Connection to the Gamma function: B(x,y) = Γ(x)Γ(y)/Γ(x+y)
• Relationship to the binomial coefficient: B(x,y) = (x+y-1)C(y)
• Integral representation: B(x,y) = ∫0 tx-1 (1+t)-(x+y) dt

What are the applications of the Beta function?

The Beta function has various applications in mathematics and statistics, including:
• Probability theory: The Beta distribution, which is derived from the Beta function, is used to model continuous random variables with values between 0 and 1.
• Hypothesis testing: The Beta distribution is used in Bayesian inference to calculate the posterior probability of a hypothesis given observed data.
• Engineering: The Beta function is used in reliability analysis to model the failure rate of a system over time.
• Physics: The Beta function is used in nuclear physics to calculate the probability of beta decay in radioactive elements.

What are some challenges associated with the Beta Function Problem?

The Beta Function Problem can be challenging to solve due to the lack of a closed-form solution and the complex nature of the integrals involved. Additionally, numerical approximations can be time-consuming and may require a large number of iterations to achieve accurate results. Furthermore, the problem may become more difficult when dealing with higher dimensions or when the parameters of the Beta function are large or close to each other.