Solving Supremum of Sets Homework Statement

In summary, the problem involves showing that the supremum of the intersection of two sets, A and B, is less than or equal to the supremum of A. This can be proven using a proof by contradiction, assuming that the supremum of the intersection is greater than the supremum of A, and showing that this leads to a contradiction by considering the fact that the intersection may include all elements of A.
Lily@pie

Homework Statement

Let A be a set of real numbers that is bounded above and let B be a subset of real numbers such that A (intersect) B is non-empty.
Show that sup (A(intersect)B) <= sup A

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to start but tried this...
Let C = A (intersect) B
So sup C = sup (A (intersect) B)

Then I thought of trying to prove it by contradiction,
show sup C > sup A leads to a contradiction.

Since for all a in A, a <= sup A.
a < sup C,
can I say that this leads to a contradiction as there exist an a that is larger than c because not all elements in A are in C...

but it seems a bit weak...

Physics news on Phys.org
The crucial point here is that [itex]C= A\cap B[/itex] is a subset of A. But it does NOT follow that C is a proper subset of A. It might happen that B= A, in which case [itex]A\cap B= A\cap A= A[/itex].

It is not just that a< sup a< sup C but that there must exist a member, x, of C such that [itex]sup A< c\le sup C[/itex]

Hmm... but is my approach correct?? Because I am totally clueless about this now...

You can certainly come up with a proof by contradiction, but HallsofIvy's point is that your proposed contradiction isn't really a contradiction. As he noted, if C=A, then all elements of A are in C, so you can't assume there's an element x∈A that's not in C.

Let a = sup(A) and c = sup(C), and assume c>a. Show that a is an upper bound of C and explain why this leads to a contradiction.

Related to Solving Supremum of Sets Homework Statement

1. What is the definition of supremum of a set?

The supremum of a set is the least upper bound of the set. It is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all the elements in the set.

2. How do you find the supremum of a set?

To find the supremum of a set, you need to first list out all the elements in the set. Then, you need to determine the largest number in the set. This largest number will be the supremum of the set.

3. Can a set have more than one supremum?

No, a set can only have one supremum. This is because the supremum is defined as the least upper bound of a set. If a set has multiple upper bounds, then the smallest one will be the supremum.

4. What is the difference between supremum and maximum?

The supremum of a set is the least upper bound, while the maximum is the largest element in the set. The supremum may or may not be an actual element in the set, while the maximum must be an element in the set.

5. How is the supremum used in mathematics?

The supremum is used in various areas of mathematics, such as analysis, topology, and set theory. It is an important concept in understanding limits, continuity, and convergence of sequences and functions. It is also used in defining compact sets and in the development of the real number system.