Solving Rigid Body Kinetics: Pulley Tension & Moment of Inertia

In summary, you need to find the acceleration a, the angular acceleration of the rod α, and the torque T. You then use F = ma to find the tension in the pulley. Finally, you use τ = Iα to find the reaction force.
smruthi92
hey guys, please see the attachment for the question.

i drew FBDs and everything. i want to know a few things tho. how do i calculate the tension in the pulley?

if they'd given me acceleration i could have used T-mg =ma. but they havent. also once the Tension is found, do i just find the moment of inertia around the centre of mass and then resolve forces?

thanks,
s.s

Attachments

• physics.jpg
    physics.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 398
Physics news on Phys.org
hi smruthi92! :smile:

call the acceleration a, and the angular acceleration of the rod α, then do F = ma and τ = Iα :wink:

tiny-tim said:

call the acceleration a, and the angular acceleration of the rod α, then do F = ma and τ = Iα :wink:

hey tim,
i can't seem to find a to find the tension, that's my problem. :(

call it a, and you can eliminate it later …

what do you get? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
call it a, and you can eliminate it later …

what do you get? :smile:

im sorry i don't get it :(
using M = I alpha

I = mL^2/12

but that's all i understand. u know the tension, it produces a moment right? so using that i got:

M = I alpha
T = I alpha
ma +mg = I x alpha

smruthi92 said:
ma +mg = I x alpha

where does this come from? :confused:

you need separate equations (both involving T) for the mass and for the rod, and you also need an equation relating a to α

(oh, and your moment of inertia is about the wrong point)

try again! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
where does this come from? :confused:

you need separate equations (both involving T) for the mass and for the rod, and you also need an equation relating a to α

(oh, and your moment of inertia is about the wrong point)

try again! :smile:

sorry that's right.

I = mL^2/12 + md^2

a = alpha x r

M = I x alpha

M = T d
T = mg +ma.

but u know the a we find from a = alpha x r, is it the same a of the mass on the pulley?

yes, the string stays the same length, so a at one end of the string must be the same (well, minus) as a at the other end of the string :wink:

(and don't forget you must include the torque of the weight of the rod)

tiny-tim said:

yes, the string stays the same length, so a at one end of the string must be the same (well, minus) as a at the other end of the string :wink:

(and don't forget you must include the torque of the weight of the rod)

awesome! thank u so much, just one last question,. after finding the total torque at point A, how do u find the reaction force?

take components in the x and y directions and/or moments about the other end :wink:

tiny-tim said:
take components in the x and y directions and/or moments about the other end :wink:

ok thank u so much tim! uve helped me so much! :D

Related to Solving Rigid Body Kinetics: Pulley Tension & Moment of Inertia

1. What is the difference between pulley tension and moment of inertia?

Pulley tension refers to the force exerted by a pulley on a rope or belt passing over it. It is necessary to consider when analyzing the motion of a rigid body connected to a pulley system. On the other hand, moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It depends on the mass and distribution of the object's mass relative to its axis of rotation. In the context of rigid body kinetics, moment of inertia is important in calculating the rotational acceleration of a pulley.

2. How do you calculate pulley tension?

Pulley tension can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration. In the case of a pulley system, the tension in the rope or belt is equal to the mass of the object being lifted multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity, plus any additional forces acting on the object.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia of a rigid body?

The moment of inertia of a rigid body depends on several factors, including its mass, shape, and axis of rotation. Objects with larger masses or more spread out mass distributions will have larger moments of inertia. The shape of an object also plays a role, as objects with more mass located farther from the axis of rotation will have larger moments of inertia.

4. How can you use pulley systems to demonstrate rigid body kinetics?

Pulley systems are commonly used in physics demonstrations to illustrate concepts related to rigid body kinetics, such as pulley tension and moment of inertia. By varying the masses and configurations of the objects involved in the system, one can observe the effects on the forces and motion of the system. These demonstrations can help students better understand the principles of rigid body kinetics.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving rigid body kinetics with pulley systems?

Pulley systems and rigid body kinetics have many practical applications in engineering and everyday life. For example, cranes and elevators use pulleys to lift heavy loads, and the principles of rigid body kinetics are crucial in designing these systems to ensure their safety and efficiency. Additionally, understanding pulley tension and moment of inertia can also be useful in sports and exercise equipment design, as well as in the operation of machinery and vehicles.