.Solving Ohm's Law with V1,V2,V3

In summary, Bill explained how to solve Ohm's Law equations using linear algebra. You must start by eliminating variables and combining equations to solve for unknowns. Once you have solved for the unknowns, you can use the information to solve for the values of the voltages and current.
Bradracer18
[SOLVED] Ohm's Law

Homework Statement

I need to find the voltages at V1, V2, V3 in the picture, with the given information using Ohm's Law. I never have learned this stuff very well, so help would be appreciated. I'm not sure what to do...

Homework Equations

E = I/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to find my current(which I'm guessing I need first). I know that in Series, the current is equal and they add in parallel.

So, my question is...for V1, do I need to find the total current, or just the current through that point(12/100)?

Thank you, and sorry that I'm not real smart on this stuff...I think its important that I learn it thoughView attachment Voltage.bmp

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should go to a site like imageshack or something and upload your picture, then put the link here so the picture can be seen immediately

Last edited by a moderator:
well, you should apply kirchhoffs voltage law to find the current. after which you will know the potential difference across each resistor and then you can find the respective potentials at the different points.

I'm not real sure how to apply that law, and furthermore, not real sure what it exactly is.

I'm thinking that I have two loops, 1 loop with 100,20,100 Ohms. Another loop with 100,20,20, 100 Ohms. So then do I add those resistances up, and use Ohms law to solve for the current? This is the part that confuses me, I'm not sure how to start...need specific instructions, so I can see what I'm doing I guess.

Can someone guide me here...I don't have the answers to base myself, so I'm not sure what to do, our book is absolutely worthless

Does the voltage at V1 = 5 volts?

I found this by finding the resistance in the first circle to be 100+20+100=220 ohms.

So, 12/220=.05A. So, 100*.05=5Volts.

Is that correct, I'm totally lost?

Also, can I use the 12 volts DC like that, or do I need to do something to it?

You have a number of unknowns, so you'll need at least that many equations.

First, the obvious unknowns:

[tex]V_1, V_2, V_3[/tex]

You also have current unknowns:

[tex]I, I_1, I_2[/tex]

Now let's label the resistors:

[tex]R_1=100\Omega[/tex]
[tex]R_2=20\Omega[/tex]
[tex]R_3=100\Omega[/tex]
[tex]R_4=20\Omega[/tex]
[tex]R_5=100\Omega[/tex]

Now we need to come up with 6 equations

(1) [tex]V=V_1+V_2[/tex]
(2) [tex]I=I_1+I_2[/tex]
(3) [tex]V_2=I_1 R_3[/tex]
(4) [tex]V_2=I_2(R_4+R_5)[/tex]
(5) [tex]V_3=I_2 R_5[/tex]
(6) [tex]V=I(R_1+R_2+\frac{R_3 R_4+R_3 R_5}{R_3+R_4+R_5})[/tex]
(7) [tex]V_1=I_1\frac{R_3 R_4+R_3 R_5}{R_3+R_4+R_5}[/tex]

That should be enough for you to solve this now.

Ok, I understand how you got those equations I guess(after looking them over)...but then how do I solve for each item? I can solve for your equation #6 for I, but then how can I solve the rest? Every other way, I have more equations than unknowns...

Bradracer18 said:
Ok, I understand how you got those equations I guess(after looking them over)...but then how do I solve for each item?

I can solve for your equation #6 for I, but then how can I solve the rest? Every other way, I have more equations than unknowns...

Linear algebra.

It's a bit tedious, but you have to start combining equations to eliminate variables.

For example, using equation 6 you can get I. Next, using equation 2 solve for [tex]I_1[/tex] or [tex]I_2[/tex].

If you solved for [tex]I_1[/tex], then substitute what [tex]I_1[/tex] is equal to in equation 3. Now equation 3 will have two unknowns: [tex]V_2[/tex] and [tex]I_2[/tex].

Equation 4 also has the same unknowns. You can then combine/manipulate equations 3 and 4 to obtain the values of [tex]V_2[/tex] and [tex]I_2[/tex].

One you get the hang of it, you can figure out the rest.

Hey thanks a lot Bill! I got the right answers finally(what others had). I think I actually understand it, going to do some other examples soon to ensure, but thank you! I really appreciated you help!

Related to .Solving Ohm's Law with V1,V2,V3

1. What is Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law is the fundamental law of electricity that states the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit. It states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points, and inversely proportional to the resistance between them.

2. How do you solve Ohm's Law with V1, V2, and V3?

To solve Ohm's Law with V1, V2, and V3, you will need to know the values of two of the three variables (voltage, current, and resistance) and use the formula V1/V2 = V2/V3.

3. What are the units used in Ohm's Law?

The units used in Ohm's Law are voltage (V) in volts, current (I) in amperes, and resistance (R) in ohms.

4. Can Ohm's Law be applied to any type of circuit?

Yes, Ohm's Law can be applied to any type of circuit as long as the circuit is composed of simple resistive elements and the voltage and current are in the same direction.

5. How is Ohm's Law used in real-world applications?

Ohm's Law is used in various real-world applications, such as designing and analyzing electrical circuits, determining the appropriate wire size for a circuit, and calculating the power consumption of electrical devices. It is also used in industries such as telecommunications, automotive, and electronics.