Solving Limits: Find Interval & Radius of Convergence

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the radius of convergence and convergence interval for a given series. The answer is that the series converges for every real number, with the interval being (-∞, ∞). This is determined by the limit of the series, which is 0, making the radius of convergence ∞. The conversation also discussed the simplification of the series, which involves cancelling out factorials and using the definition of factorial. The final result is a polynomial with a 3-degree numerator and 4-degree denominator, whose limit can be found to be 0.
ironman

Homework Statement

[/B]
I have to find the radius of convergence and convergence interval. So for what x's the series converge.
The answer is supposed to be for every real number. So the interval is: (-∞, ∞).
So that must mean that the limit L = 0. So the radius of convergence [ which is given by R = 1/L ] is going to be ∞.

Homework Equations

[/B]
CodeCogsEqn-2.gif
CodeCogsEqn.gif
(?)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I tried using
CodeCogsEqn-4.gif
with an =
CodeCogsEqn-3.gif

but i don't seem to get anywhere...
Is there another way of showing that the lim = 0 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
ironman said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
I have to find the radius of convergence and convergence interval. So for what x's the series converge.
The answer is supposed to be for every real number. So the interval is: (-∞, ∞).
So that must mean that the limit L = 0. So the radius of convergence [ which is given by R = 1/L ] is going to be ∞.

Homework Equations

[/B]
View attachment 76309View attachment 76306 (?)
You need to take the limit of the entire term in the summation, including the (x + 1)n factor.
ironman said:

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I tried using View attachment 76307 with an = View attachment 76308

but i don't seem to get anywhere...
Is there another way of showing that the lim = 0 ?
Show us the work that you did in taking the limit of an+1/an. It's easy to get wrong with those factorials.

BTW, this is NOT a precalculus problem, so I moved it to the calculus section.

Mark44 said:
You need to take the limit of the entire term in the summation, including the (x + 1)n factor.

Show us the work that you did in taking the limit of an+1/an. It's easy to get wrong with those factorials.

BTW, this is NOT a precalculus problem, so I moved it to the calculus section.

Ah ok I'm sorry.
Yes indeed. But you would get:
CodeCogsEqn-5.gif

So you might as well just use the 'n-part', for the (x-c) is just a number (?)

I ended up with:

CodeCogsEqn-6.gif
It's not possible to simplify this, right?

ironman said:
Ah ok I'm sorry.
Yes indeed. But you would get: View attachment 76323

I ended up with:

View attachment 76324 It's not possible to simplify this, right?

Sure you can simplify it. Start with the (n+1)!/n! part. Remember what the definition of n! and (n+1)! are. A lot of terms cancel.

Please don't post your work as images. When I quote what you wrote your stuff doesn't show up.
ironman said:
Ah ok I'm sorry.
Yes indeed. But you would get: View attachment 76323
Actually you get |x + 1|. It needs to be included in your limit calculations, especially for when you are finding the interval of convergence.
ironman said:

I ended up with:

View attachment 76324 It's not possible to simplify this, right?
It can and should be simplified. (n + 1)! = (n + 1) * n! and (2n + 2)! = (2n + 2)(2n + 1)*(2n)!.

Dick said:
Sure you can simplify it. Start with the (n+1)!/n! part. Remember what the definition of n! and (n+1)! are. A lot of terms cancel.

Ah of course!
(n+1)!/ n! = n+1.

I still don't know these rules. But I used :
n=3
4*3*2*1/3*2*1 = 4
= n+1

Mark44 said:
Please don't post your work as images. When I quote what you wrote your stuff doesn't show up.Actually you get |x + 1|. It needs to be included in your limit calculations, especially for when you are finding the interval of convergence.
It can and should be simplified. (n + 1)! = (n + 1) * n! and (2n + 2)! = (2n + 2)(2n + 1)*(2n)!.

Mark44 said:
Please don't post your work as images. When I quote what you wrote your stuff doesn't show up.Actually you get |x + 1|. It needs to be included in your limit calculations, especially for when you are finding the interval of convergence.

Hmm I see.
You would get (n+1) * (2n+1) * (2n+2) * (4n)! / (4n +4)!
Can you divide both the nom. and denom. by (4n+4)! and end up with 0/1 = 0 as [ n -> ∞ ] ?

Weird that my calculus book leaves the |x +c| out then...

ironman said:
Hmm I see.
You would get (n+1) * (2n+1) * (2n+2) * (4n)! / (4n +4)!
Can you divide both the nom. and denom. by (4n+4)! and end up with 0/1 = 0 as [ n -> ∞ ] ?

Weird that my calculus book leaves the |x +c| out then...

You should keep simplifying until you have no more factorials. Take care of the (4n)!/(4n+4)! part as well.

Dick said:
You should keep simplifying until you have no more factorials. Take care of the (4n)!/(4n+4)! part as well.

I've no idea how to do that...

ironman said:
I've no idea how to do that...

Isn't it the case that ##(4n+4)! = (4n+4)(4n+3)(4n+2)(4n+1) (4n)!##? Just keep using the definition of factorial.

Ray Vickson said:
Isn't it the case that ##(4n+4)! = (4n+4)(4n+3)(4n+2)(4n+1) (4n)!##? Just keep using the definition of factorial.

Oh well... I blame it on my lack of sleep, ha.
So I end up with polynomials only. 4-degree in the denominator and 3-degree in the numerator. (highest degrees)

ironman said:
Oh well... I blame it on my lack of sleep, ha.
So I end up with polynomials only. 4-degree in the denominator and 3-degree in the numerator. (highest degrees)

Ok, so do you know how to find its limit?

Dick said:
Ok, so do you know how to find its limit?

Yes, I do. Thanks for the help all!

Related to Solving Limits: Find Interval & Radius of Convergence

1. What is the purpose of finding the interval and radius of convergence in solving limits?

Finding the interval and radius of convergence allows us to determine the values of x for which a given power series will converge. This information is crucial in solving limits involving power series, as it tells us the range of x values in which the series will converge and provide an accurate approximation of the limit.

2. How do you find the interval of convergence for a power series?

To find the interval of convergence, we use the ratio test or the root test. These tests involve taking the limit of a ratio or root of consecutive terms in the power series. If the limit is less than 1, the series will converge. If it is greater than 1, the series will diverge. The x values for which the limit is equal to 1 will determine the endpoints of the interval of convergence.

3. What is the significance of the radius of convergence in solving limits?

The radius of convergence is the distance from the center of the power series to the nearest point where the series will no longer converge. The radius of convergence is important because it tells us the maximum distance from the center for which the series will converge. This information is useful in determining the precise interval of convergence.

4. Can the interval of convergence be infinite?

Yes, the interval of convergence can be infinite. This means that the power series will converge for all real numbers. It is also possible for the interval of convergence to be a single point or an empty set, depending on the behavior of the series at the endpoints.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the interval and radius of convergence?

Yes, in addition to the ratio and root tests, there are other methods for finding the interval and radius of convergence, such as the comparison test and the integral test. These tests involve comparing the given power series to a known series with a known convergence behavior. They can be used as alternatives or supplements to the ratio and root tests.