Solving integral with substitution

In summary, the student is struggling with how to solve an equation involving integrating by substitution. They attempted to do it using different methods and ended up getting incorrect answers.
Shannabel

Homework Statement

find the integral from 0 to ln2 of (e^x-1)/(e^x+1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really didn't know what to do, but the book had a hint suggesting i multiply the numerator and denominator by e^-x and then use an appropriate substitution..
[((e^x)-1)*(e^-x)]/[((e^x)+1)*(e^-x)]
= (1-(e^-x))/(1+(e^-x))
= (1-(e^x))/(1+(e^x))
but now i can't think of an appropriate substitution. help?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get from:
[itex]\frac{1-e^{-x}}{1+e^{-x}}[/itex]
To:
[itex]\frac{1-e^{x}}{1+e^{x}}[/itex]

c.dube said:
How did you get from:
[itex]\frac{1-e^{-x}}{1+e^{-x}}[/itex]
To:
[itex]\frac{1-e^{x}}{1+e^{x}}[/itex]

apparently i just made up my own rules of calculus.. you're right, i can't do that.
so I'm just at
[1-e^(-x)]/[1+e^(-x)]

Hahah I don't know how your book wants you to do it but try splitting it into two integrals.

c.dube said:
Hahah I don't know how your book wants you to do it but try splitting it into two integrals.

how can i split that?

Into two fractions - you have addition on top - and then attack them both separately.

The first thing I would do is divide:
[tex]\frac{e^x- 1}{e^x+ 1}= 1- \frac{2}{e^x+ 1}[/tex]

Then, for the second integral, let [itex]u= e^x+ 1[/itex]

HallsofIvy said:
The first thing I would do is divide:
[tex]\frac{e^x- 1}{e^x+ 1}= 1- \frac{2}{e^x+ 1}[/tex]

Then, for the second integral, let [itex]u= e^x+ 1[/itex]

lol... what did you divide by to get that?
and also, if i use u=e^x, then i get du=e^xdx, and i don't have anything to cancel the extra e^x with..?

I'm not sure what multiplying top & bottom by e^-x does for you, but if you multiply top & bottom by e^(-x/2), you'll probably recognize it as the hyperbolic tangent of x/2.

Shannabel said:
lol... what did you divide by to get that?
and also, if i use u=e^x, then i get du=e^xdx, and i don't have anything to cancel the extra e^x with..?

You can use long division to divide them, similar to normal division of numbers. Or you can write it as [tex]\frac{e^x - 1}{e^x + 1} = \frac{e^x + 1 - 2}{e^x + 1} = \frac{e^x + 1}{e^x + 1} - \frac{2}{e^x + 1} = 1 - \frac{2}{e^x + 1}[/tex]
If you want to follow Hall's suggestion, you should multiply the fraction by e-x/e-x and then use a different substitution.

I would follow c.dube's suggestion by splitting the fraction in two [tex]\frac{e^x - 1}{e^x + 1} = \frac{e^x}{e^x + 1} - \frac{1}{e^x + 1}[/tex]The first one has an easy substitution, but you'll want to multiply the second by e-x/e-x before using a substitution.

Bohrok said:
You can use long division to divide them, similar to normal division of numbers. Or you can write it as [tex]\frac{e^x - 1}{e^x + 1} = \frac{e^x + 1 - 2}{e^x + 1} = \frac{e^x + 1}{e^x + 1} - \frac{2}{e^x + 1} = 1 - \frac{2}{e^x + 1}[/tex]
If you want to follow Hall's suggestion, you should multiply the fraction by e-x/e-x and then use a different substitution.

I would follow c.dube's suggestion by splitting the fraction in two [tex]\frac{e^x - 1}{e^x + 1} = \frac{e^x}{e^x + 1} - \frac{1}{e^x + 1}[/tex]The first one has an easy substitution, but you'll want to multiply the second by e-x/e-x before using a substitution.

ookay so i ended up with
ln(e^(x)+1)+ln(e^(-x)+1)... is that right?

Bohrok said:

ookay so i ended up with
ln(e^(x)+1)+ln(e^(-x)+1) between 0 and ln2
= ln((e^x+1)/(e^-x)+1)) between 0 and ln2
= ln ((e^ln2+1)/(e^-ln2+1))-ln((e^0+1)/e^0+1))
= ln(3/-1)-ln(1)
= ln(-3)

.. which is very wrong, obviously.
where did i go wrong?

The two logs are being added, so you need to multiply their arguments and not divide them.

Bohrok said:
The two logs are being added, so you need to multiply their arguments and not divide them.

ahhh! of course!
so now i get

ln((e^x+1)*(e^-x+1))
= [ln((e^ln2+1)*(e^-ln2+1))]-[ln(e^0+1)*(e^0+1)]
= ln(-3)-ln(4)
= ln(-3/4)

closer? but still not right...?

e^-ln2 ≠ -2
Make sure you use the rules of logs and exponents correctly when you simplify.

Look at the part [itex]e^{-\ln2}[/itex] and how you could re-express that. Then run with it.
EDIT: Haha as Bohrok said.

Bohrok said:
e^-ln2 ≠ -2
Make sure you use the rules of logs and exponents correctly when you simplify.

e^-ln2= (1/2)??

Yes! :smile:

bohrok said:
yes! :smile:

got it! :):)

Last edited:
You guys are making this much too difficult! Note that the integrand is tanh(x/2) which is in turn sinh(x/2)/cosh(x/2). Substitute u = sinh(x/2) and recall that the derivative of sinh is cosh. The integrand then becomes 1/u, which integrates to ln(u). Resolve the substitution and voila.

obafgkmrns said:
You guys are making this much too difficult! Note that the integrand is tanh(x/2) which is in turn sinh(x/2)/cosh(x/2). Substitute u = sinh(x/2) and recall that the derivative of sinh is cosh. The integrand then becomes 1/u, which integrates to ln(u). Resolve the substitution and voila.

my prof left the part of the course with function like sinh and cosh out of the course this year.

Related to Solving integral with substitution

1. What is substitution in calculus?

Substitution in calculus is a method used to simplify and solve integrals. It involves replacing a complicated expression in the integral with a simpler one, in order to make it easier to solve. This is done by substituting a variable with another expression, usually by using the chain rule.

2. When should I use substitution to solve an integral?

Substitution is typically used when the integrand (the expression inside the integral) is a composite function, meaning it is made up of two or more functions. In this case, substitution helps to simplify the expression and make it easier to integrate.

3. How do I choose the appropriate substitution for an integral?

Choosing the correct substitution depends on the structure of the integrand. A general rule is to choose a substitution that will eliminate a complicated expression or reduce the degree of the function. Some common substitutions include trigonometric, exponential, and logarithmic functions.

4. Can substitution be used to solve all integrals?

No, substitution is not always applicable to all integrals. Some integrals may require other techniques such as integration by parts or partial fraction decomposition. It is important to understand different methods and when to use them to solve integrals effectively.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using substitution to solve integrals?

One common mistake is using the wrong substitution, which can lead to a more complicated expression instead of simplifying it. It is also important to make sure the limits of integration are changed appropriately when substituting variables. Another mistake is not being aware of potential trigonometric identities that can help simplify the integral further.