Solving G(f(x)) - Help and Answers

• Thread starter Deagonx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lost
In summary, the conversation discusses a composite function g(f(x)) and how to simplify it using the given equations g(x) = 3/x+1 and f(x) = 3x+2. The conversation also addresses the ambiguity of the equation and provides two possible solutions depending on the interpretation of g(x). It is important to clarify the given equations to accurately and correctly solve the problem.
Deagonx

Homework Statement

g(f(x))
g(x) = 3/x+1
f(x)= 3x+2

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive had none I don't even know how to attempt this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you see a composite function, say, g( f(x) ) , that is saying that we will substitute the function f(x) everywhere that 'x' appears in the expression for g(x) . In your problem, this will mean that if g(x) = 3/x+1 ,

by the way, is this [tex]\frac{3}{x+1} or \frac{3}{x} + 1 [/tex] (I will assume the first -- if you don't use TeX, be sure to use parentheses)

you would start with

g( f(x) ) = 3 / [ f(x) + 1 ] = 3 / [ ( 3x + 2 ) + 1 ] ,

and make any necessary algebraic simplifications from there.

every were you see x in g(x) plug in f(x)

Welcome to PF, Deagonx! :smile:

Try it like this:
g(f(x))
g(u) = 3/u+1
u = f(x) = 3x+2

Deagonx said:

Homework Statement

g(f(x))
g(x) = 3/x+1
f(x)= 3x+2

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive had none I don't even know how to attempt this problem.

Maybe you know whether g(x) = 3/(x+1) or g(x) = (3/x) + 1, but nobody else does. Which one do you mean? (If I read it according to *standard rules*, it means the second form.)

RGV

They way that I did it was as followed:

If f(x) = 3x + 2. and the equation is g(f(x)) then isn't it really just g(3x+2)

In which case, I came to 3/(3x+2) + 1 which I then simplified to x + 2.5 Which I think is wrong.

Deagonx said:

This part is correct.

In which case, I came to 3/(3x+2) + 1 which I then simplified to x + 2.5 Which I think is wrong.

So [tex] f( g(x) ) = \frac{3}{(3x+2) + 1 } = \frac{3}{3x + 3} .[/tex] What would that simplify to?

dynamicsolo said:
This part is correct.

So [tex] f( g(x) ) = \frac{3}{(3x+2) + 1 } = \frac{3}{3x + 3} .[/tex] What would that simplify to?

x + 1?

This is a ratio: what can be done in the numerator and denominator? (Remember, the 3x + 3 is in the denominator.)

And remember, if the original expression is equal to your new expression, whatever value of x you choose (granted you don't divide by zero), you should be able to plug it into both expressions and the same answer will come out!

Deagonx said:

The first part was correct, but the simplification was wrong.

To simplify that expression first put everything on a common denominator.

[tex]\frac{3}{3x+2} + 1 = \frac{3}{3x+2} + \frac{3x+2}{3x+2} [/tex]

Then simplify it from there.

Evidently, everyone still hasn't settled on what g(x) is. So at least we'll have both possible versions...

By the way, in this version,
[tex] f( g(x) ) = \frac{3}{(3x+2) + 1 } = \frac{3}{3x + 3} ,[/tex]

you are dividing 3 by ( 3x + 3 ) , not ( 3x + 3 ) by 3 : that's why this version isn't x + 1 .

dynamicsolo said:
Evidently, everyone still hasn't settled on what g(x) is ...

Yes it's difficult when the OP won't clarify that, even after being prompted a few times. :frown:

But without any other clarification I think we really have to go with what the OP is typing, whether or not that is really what he/she is actually trying to ask. :smile:

Related to Solving G(f(x)) - Help and Answers

1. What is the purpose of solving G(f(x))?

The purpose of solving G(f(x)) is to find the value of the composition function when given a specific input value for x. This helps to simplify complex functions and make them easier to understand and work with.

2. How do I solve G(f(x))?

To solve G(f(x)), you must first substitute the given value for x into the inner function, f(x). Then, take the result and substitute it into the outer function, G(x). Finally, simplify the expression to find the value of G(f(x)).

3. What is the difference between G(f(x)) and f(x)?

G(f(x)) is a composition function, meaning it is the result of applying one function (f(x)) to another function (G(x)). f(x) is a standalone function that may or may not be used in a composition function.

4. Can I solve G(f(x)) for multiple values of x?

Yes, you can solve G(f(x)) for multiple values of x. Simply substitute each value into the inner function, f(x), and then substitute the result into the outer function, G(x), to find the corresponding value of G(f(x)).

5. How does solving G(f(x)) relate to real-world applications?

Solving G(f(x)) can be applied in real-world scenarios such as finance, physics, and engineering. It can help to model and analyze complex systems by breaking them down into simpler functions. It is also useful in predicting and understanding patterns and relationships in data.