Solving Functions f and g: Range and Relationship with Homework Statement

• Thread starter WeiLoong
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary: So, it is less than one. So, as x goes to infinity, this fraction must go to zero. That's what I meant by "squeeze" above.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the range of two functions, f and g, without using differentiation. It is determined that the range of f is all real numbers and the range of g can be found by using the equation (f(x))^2 + (g(x))^2 = 1. It is suggested to use the rules for expanding equations, such as ##(e^x)^2## and ##(a + b)^2##, to solve for the range of g. It is also mentioned that the limit as x approaches infinity for the fraction (e
WeiLoong

Homework Statement

The functions f and g are given by
https://scontent-kul1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t35.0-12/11993948_10204837479208369_1887096410_o.jpg?oh=b1653a61128c571af8137b1fd00ccb01&oe=55F47BC4
a) without using differentiation, find the range of f
b)show that f(x)^2+g(x)^2=1.Hence find the range of g.

Homework Equations

FUnction

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
for question A i used limit to infinity so that the function can be a number, thus I got x=all real number if i use limit to infinity. for question B i have no clue. please help

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree. f and g are both defined for all real values of x.
For problem b, what do you get when you square these functions?
what is [f(x)]^2, what is [g(x)]^2?
Note that they both have the same denominator, so you need to show that the sum of the squared numerators is equal to the square of the common denominator.

Do you know what ##(e^x)^2 ## is?
Do you know what ##( a + b) ^2 ## is ?

If you know those rules, this just needs to be expanded out to show the answer.

WeiLoong said:

Homework Statement

The functions f and g are given by
https://scontent-kul1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t35.0-12/11993948_10204837479208369_1887096410_o.jpg?oh=b1653a61128c571af8137b1fd00ccb01&oe=55F47BC4
a) without using differentiation, find the range of f
b)show that f(x)^2+g(x)^2=1.Hence find the range of g.

Homework Equations

FUnction

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
for question A i used limit to infinity so that the function can be a number, thus I got x=all real number
Part a asks for the range -- the set of function values -- not the domain.
For ##\lim_{x \to \infty}f(x)##, what did you get? Also, you might want to look at the limit as x approaches -∞. These limits might give you an idea about the behavior of f.
WeiLoong said:
if i use limit to infinity. for question B i have no clue. please help
Did you try part b? It asks you to show that ##(f(x))^2 + (g(x))^2 = 1##. They have told you what the answer should be.

RUber said:
I agree. f and g are both defined for all real values of x.
This isn't relevant, though, as the problem asks for the range of f, not the domain.

Likes RUber
Since [itex]e^x[/itex] is positive for all x, [itex]\frac{e^x- e^{-x}}{e^x+ e^{-x}}[/itex] is a fraction with the numerator smaller than the denominator.

Related to Solving Functions f and g: Range and Relationship with Homework Statement

1. What is a function in math?

A function in math is a relationship between two sets of numbers, where each input (or independent variable) has a unique output (or dependent variable). It can also be thought of as a machine that takes in an input and produces an output.

2. How do you determine the domain and range of a function?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values, while the range is the set of all possible output values. To determine the domain, you must look at the restrictions on the independent variable, such as avoiding division by zero or taking the square root of a negative number. The range can be found by looking at the output values of the function.

3. What is the difference between a linear and nonlinear function?

A linear function is one in which the output varies at a constant rate as the input changes. This is represented by a straight line on a graph. A nonlinear function, on the other hand, does not have a constant rate of change and is represented by a curved line on a graph.

4. How do you solve a function for a specific value?

To solve a function for a specific value, you plug in the desired value for the input (or independent variable) and then evaluate the function to find the corresponding output (or dependent variable).

5. Why are functions important in math?

Functions are important in math because they help us understand and represent relationships between different quantities. They are used to model real-world situations, make predictions, and solve problems in various fields such as science, engineering, and economics.