Solving for X inside of a 3X3Matrix

• Thread starter smashbrohamme
  • Start date
In summary, a 3x3 matrix is a mathematical structure with 3 rows and 3 columns used in linear algebra to represent equations and perform transformations. To solve for X inside of a 3x3 matrix, methods such as Gaussian elimination and Cramer's rule can be used. Solving for X is important in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics as it allows us to understand and predict complex systems. Some common applications of solving for X include finding solutions to equations, performing transformations, and solving optimization problems. There is no specific order for solving for X, but it is important to follow proper rules and use a consistent method.
smashbrohamme
Using cramers rule.

the equation is.

x,1,2
1,x,3 all set to equal -4x

I made my 2x2 matrix like this

x|x,3| -1|1,3| +2|1,x|
|1,2| |0,2| |0,1|

eventually I ended up with x(2x-3)-1(2)+2(1)=-4x

condensed it down to 2x^2-3x=-4x

2x^2+1x=0
x(x+1)=0

x=0, or x=-1.

I go back to plug it in...and its wrong! :(

Physics news on Phys.org
When you had your initial equation, 2x^2+x=0 and you divided by 2, you got an incorrect result.

smashbrohamme said:
2x^2+1x=0
x(x+1)=0

Little mistake in this step...

Related to Solving for X inside of a 3X3Matrix

1. What is a 3x3 matrix?

A 3x3 matrix is a mathematical structure that contains 3 rows and 3 columns of numbers or variables. It is commonly used in linear algebra to represent systems of equations and perform transformations.

2. How do you solve for X inside of a 3x3 matrix?

To solve for X inside of a 3x3 matrix, you can use various methods such as Gaussian elimination, Cramer's rule, or matrix inversion. These methods involve manipulating the matrix using row operations to reduce it to an easier form and then solving for X.

3. What is the importance of solving for X inside of a 3x3 matrix?

Solving for X inside of a 3x3 matrix allows us to find the values of unknown variables in a system of equations. This is important in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and economics, as it helps us understand and predict the behavior of complex systems.

4. What are some common applications of solving for X inside of a 3x3 matrix?

Some common applications of solving for X inside of a 3x3 matrix include finding solutions to linear equations, performing transformations in 3D space, and solving optimization problems. It is also used in computer graphics, cryptography, and data analysis.

5. Is there a specific order in which I should solve for X inside of a 3x3 matrix?

There is no specific order in which you should solve for X inside of a 3x3 matrix. However, it is important to follow the proper rules of matrix operations and to use a consistent method throughout the solving process. The method you choose may depend on the structure of the matrix and the desired outcome.