Solving for Oscillation with Given Parameters

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation ##\ddot{x}+\Omega^{2} x=D+\frac{C}{2}+Ecos\omega t+\frac{C}{2}cos2\omega t## using the hint ##x=\alpha sin\omega t+\beta cos\omega t##. The resulting equations for the constants ##\alpha## and ##\beta## are found, but it is noted that the values for ##C## and ##D## are already given and therefore further adjustments to the solution may be necessary.
skrat

Homework Statement

Solve: ##\ddot{x}+\Omega^{2} x=D+\frac{C}{2}+Ecos\omega t+\frac{C}{2}cos2\omega t##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got a hint to use ##x=\alpha sin\omega t+\beta cos\omega t## so ##\ddot{x}=-\alpha ^{2}\omega ^{2}sin\omega t-\beta ^{2}\omega ^{2}cos\omega t## in the equation above than:
##(-\alpha ^{2}\omega ^{2}sin\omega t-\beta ^{2}\omega ^{2}cos\omega t)+\Omega^{2}x=\alpha sin\omega t+\beta cos\omega t=D+\frac{C}{2}+Ecos\omega t+\frac{C}{2}cos2\omega t##
Which gives me 4 separate equations depending on ##sin\omega t##, ##cos\omega t##, ##cos2\omega t## and constant:

first: ##-\alpha ^{2}\omega ^{2}+\Omega ^{2}\alpha=0##
second: ##-\beta ^{2}\omega ^{2}+\Omega ^{2}\beta =E##
third: ##\frac{C}{2}=0##
fourth: ##D+\frac{C}{2}=0##

Forth and third together say that ##D=0## and ##C=0##
First says that:
##\alpha ^{2}\omega ^{2}=\Omega ^{2}\alpha##
##\alpha =(\frac{\Omega }{\omega })^{2}##
But for second I am not sure, whether I can divide it with ##\beta## (probably not since it could be equal to 0) or how do I solve it?
PLEASE HELP

BTW, if everything is completely wrong and this is not how usually this kind of equations are solved, please let me know.

Physics news on Phys.org
C and D are given, so if you deduce values for them you have gone wrong. Seems to me you need more flexibility in your proposed solution, probably terms involving sin and cos of 2ωt.

Related to Solving for Oscillation with Given Parameters

1. What is an oscillation equation?

An oscillation equation is a mathematical representation of a system that exhibits periodic motion, such as a swinging pendulum or a vibrating guitar string.

2. How do you solve an oscillation equation?

To solve an oscillation equation, you need to determine the initial conditions of the system and then use mathematical techniques such as substitution, separation of variables, or the method of undetermined coefficients to find the solution.

3. What is the purpose of solving an oscillation equation?

The purpose of solving an oscillation equation is to understand the behavior of the system over time and predict future motion. This is useful in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. Can all oscillation equations be solved analytically?

No, not all oscillation equations can be solved analytically. Some equations may not have closed-form solutions, meaning they cannot be expressed in terms of known functions. In these cases, numerical methods may be used to approximate the solution.

5. How can oscillation equations be applied in real-life situations?

Oscillation equations can be applied in many real-life situations, such as predicting the motion of a pendulum, analyzing the vibrations of a bridge, or modeling stock market fluctuations. They are also important in understanding natural phenomena, such as the motion of planets and the behavior of waves.