Solving for Φ(k) in Quantum Fourier Transform with ψ(x,0)=e^(-λ*absvalue(x))

In summary, to find Φ(k) from the given initial condition ψ(x,0)=e^(-λ*absvalue(x)) for x ± infinity, you can first convert the absolute value to ± x depending on which part of the number line is being integrated. Then, you can use the substitution u = ikx and simplify the integral to get (1/((λ/ik)-1)) for one half of the number line. Alternatively, you can also use the trigonometric form of the exponential function and check for even or odd functions to simplify the integral. Both methods will lead to the same solution for Φ(k).
chris2020

Homework Statement

Assume ψ(x,0)=e^(-λ*absvalue(x)) for x ± infinity, find Φ(k)

Homework Equations

Φ(k)=1/√(2π)* ∫e(-λ*absvalue(x))e(-i*k*x)dx,-inf, inf[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

, my thought was Convert the absolute value to ± x depending on what of the number line was being integrated.[/B]

U=i*k*x
du/(i*k)=dx

1/√(2π)*∫e-λ*√(u2/(i*k)2)*e(-u)du,-inf,inf

Now fixing abs value

1/((2π)*(i*k))*∫eλ/(i*k)*ue(-u),du,-inf,o

the integrand for one half of the number line looks like:

E(u*(λ/(ik)-1)

For which i get: after limits are taken for that half of the integral

(1/((λ/ik)-1))

Then similar integral for other half

Is this the right track or am i totally off?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to PF!

Your work looks OK. I don't think you need to make the substitution u = ikx. Looks like a typo in one place where you left out the square root for the ##2 \pi## factor.

If you feel more comfortable with working with real functions, write ##e^{-ikx} = \cos (kx) - i \sin (kx)##. You can then check to see if the resulting integrands are even or odd functions over the interval ##-\infty < x < \infty##.

yea i was thinking that route also but i forgot about about the even or odd shortcut

Thanks!

Related to Solving for Φ(k) in Quantum Fourier Transform with ψ(x,0)=e^(-λ*absvalue(x))

1. What is a Quantum Fourier Transform (QFT)?

A Quantum Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation used in quantum computing that transforms an input quantum state into a different quantum state. It is based on the classical Fourier transform, but operates on quantum bits (qubits) instead of classical bits. QFT is an essential part of many quantum algorithms, including Shor's algorithm for factoring large numbers.

2. How does a Quantum Fourier Transform work?

A Quantum Fourier Transform works by representing a quantum state as a series of amplitudes and phases, and then applying a series of operations that manipulate these amplitudes and phases. These operations are controlled by the input qubits and the output qubits, and they are designed to produce a specific output state that is related to the input state by the Fourier transform.

3. What are the applications of Quantum Fourier Transforms?

Quantum Fourier Transforms have many applications in quantum computing, including in quantum error correction, quantum cryptography, and quantum simulations. They are also used in many quantum algorithms, such as the quantum phase estimation algorithm and the quantum matrix inversion algorithm.

4. How is a Quantum Fourier Transform different from a classical Fourier Transform?

A Quantum Fourier Transform operates on quantum states, which are fundamentally different from classical states. This means that QFT can handle superpositions of states, whereas a classical Fourier transform can only handle one state at a time. Additionally, the operations used in a QFT are different from those used in a classical Fourier transform, and they are designed to take advantage of the unique properties of quantum states.

5. What are the advantages of using a Quantum Fourier Transform?

One of the main advantages of using a Quantum Fourier Transform is its ability to efficiently perform certain mathematical operations that are difficult or impossible for classical computers to do. This makes QFT an essential tool for many quantum algorithms, and it is expected to play a crucial role in future advancements in quantum computing technology.