Solving for Cn to get wave function

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to solve Cn for a wave function in the context of an infinite stairwell wave function. The simplified equation provided includes an integral and terms involving a linear combination of wave functions. However, there are discrepancies and missing information that make it difficult to accurately solve the equation. The use of LaTeX is suggested as a way to better express and understand the problem.
genius
I need to solve Cn for a wave function, and have reached the following integral:

Cn = -[√(1/a)](a/nπ)[cos(nπx/a)(ψ1(x)+ψ2(x))+∫cos(u)(dψ1(x)/dx)dx+∫cos(u)(dψ2(x)/dx)dx]This is a simplified version of the original equation, for
elaboration Cn is the constant for linear combinations of a wave function. This is also strictly for a infinite stairwell wave function. I need help solving this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cn = -[√(1/a)](a/nπ)[cos(nπx/a)(ψ1(x)+ψ2(x))+∫cos(u)(dψ1(x)/dx)dx+∫cos(u)(dψ2(x)/dx)dx]
Lets see if I can tidy that up:
##c_n = -\left[\frac{1}{\sqrt{a}}\frac{a}{n\pi} (\psi_1(x)+\psi_2(x))\cos n\pi x/a + \int \cos u \frac{d}{dx}\psi_1(x)\; dx + \int\cos u \frac{d}{dx}\psi_2(x) \; dx \right]##
... that cannot be correct (unless ##c_n## is a function of x): have you missed out an integral sign there?
... when you change variable, you need to express the whole integral in terms of the same variable.
... you cannot solve the integrals given without an explicit form for ##\psi_1## and ##\psi_2## ... or some indication of what they are supposed to be;
... when presenting a problem, please show us the original problem statement. It looks like you already have a linear combination of wavefunctions, so it is unclear what this ##c_n## is supposed to do. I have a feeling you are going about your task the wrong way.

I mean; I can see terms that look like ##\phi_n = A\cos n\pi x/a##
... which, for n=1,3,5... and ##A=\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}##, are energy eigenfunctions for an infinite square well, width ##a##, centered on the origin. Maybe you used ##\phi = A\sin n\pi x/a## and what I see is the result of an attempt at integration by parts?

You often need to integrate by parts twice to get something useful.
Note: ##\frac{d^2}{dx^2}\psi_n = -\frac{2m}{\hbar^2}\big(E_n - V(x)\big)\psi_n## because Schrodinger.

Note: to do QM, you really really need LaTeX.

Last edited:

Related to Solving for Cn to get wave function

1. How do you solve for Cn in order to get the wave function?

In order to solve for Cn and get the wave function, you must use the equation Cn = 1/√(2π) ∫f(x)e^(-inx) dx, where f(x) is the given function and n is the integer value. This is known as the Fourier transform and is commonly used to find the coefficients of a wave function.

2. What does Cn represent in the wave function?

Cn represents the coefficient of the nth term in the wave function. It determines the amplitude and phase of the corresponding wave component in the series.

3. Can Cn be negative in the wave function?

Yes, Cn can be negative in the wave function. The sign of Cn does not affect the overall shape or behavior of the wave function, but it does impact the phase of the corresponding wave component.

4. What is the significance of solving for Cn in the wave function?

Solving for Cn allows us to represent a complex periodic function as a sum of simpler trigonometric functions. This makes it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of the function.

5. Are there any alternative methods for solving for Cn in the wave function?

Yes, there are alternative methods for solving for Cn in the wave function, such as using the discrete Fourier transform or the fast Fourier transform. These methods may be more efficient for certain types of functions and are commonly used in signal processing and data analysis.