Solving First Order Differential Equation

In summary, a student is seeking help with a differential equation they are trying to solve. After using an integrating factor and reducing the equation, they arrive at a solution that differs from the one given in the book. They request assistance in finding their mistake. Another user points out a potential error in the use of the integrating factor.
jellicorse

Homework Statement

I have been trying to solve this equation but keep coming to the same solution, which according to my book is not the correct one. Is anyone able to point out what I am doing wrong?

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}-\frac{1}{2}y=2cos(t)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

To solve, use the integrating factor [tex]e^{\int\frac{1}{2}dt}[/tex]; Integrating factor=[tex]e^{-\frac{t}{2}}[/tex]

[tex] ye^{-\frac{t}{2}} = 2\int e^{-\frac{t}{2}}cos(t)dt[/tex]

Integrating the RHS by parts:

[tex] = 2\left[e^{-\frac{t}{2}}sin(t)+\frac{1}{2}\int sin(t)e^{-\frac{t}{2}}dt\right][/tex]

[tex] = 2\left[e^{-\frac{t}{2}}sin(t)+\frac{1}{2}\left[e^{-\frac{t}{2}}\cdot(-cos(t)-\frac{1}{2}\int cos(t)e^{-\frac{t}{2}}dt\right]\right][/tex]

And using a reduction formula:

[tex] = 2\left[e^{-\frac{t}{2}}sin(t)-\frac{e^{-\frac{t}{2}}cos(t)}{2}-\frac{1}{4}I\right][/tex]

[tex] I =2e^{-\frac{t}{2}}sin(t)-e^{-\frac{t}{2}}cos(t)-\frac{1}{2}I[/tex]

[tex]\frac{3}{2}I=2e^{-\frac{t}{2}}sin(t)-e^{-\frac{t}{2}}cos(t)[/tex]

[tex] I = \frac{2}{3}(2e^{-\frac{t}{2}}sin(t)-e^{-\frac{t}{2}}cos(t))[/tex]

[tex]ye^{-\frac{t}{2}}=\frac{4e^{-\frac{t}{2}}sin(t)-e^{-\frac{t}{2}}cos(t)}{3}[/tex]

[tex] y = \frac{4 sin(t)-cos(t)}{3}+ce^{\frac{t}{2}}[/tex]

After all this, the book gives a solution of [tex]y=\frac{4}{5}(2sin(t)-cos(t))+ce^{\frac{t}{2}}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
hi jellicorse! welcome to pf! :smile:

good method, but i think you've used ye-t/2 = 2I in one place and = I in another place :wink:

Likes 1 person
Ah, thanks tiny-tim... I will look into that!

Related to Solving First Order Differential Equation

1. What is a first order differential equation?

A first order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function and its first derivative. It represents the rate of change of a variable over time or space.

2. How do you solve a first order differential equation?

To solve a first order differential equation, you need to separate the variables and integrate both sides of the equation. This will give you the general solution. You can then use initial conditions to find the particular solution.

3. What are initial conditions?

Initial conditions are the values of the unknown function and its derivative at a given point in the domain. They are used to find the particular solution to a first order differential equation.

4. What are the methods for solving a first order differential equation?

There are several methods for solving a first order differential equation, including separation of variables, integrating factor, substitution, and exact equations. The method you use will depend on the form of the equation and the techniques you are comfortable with.

5. Why are first order differential equations important?

First order differential equations are important because they have a wide range of applications in many fields of science and engineering. They are used to model real-world phenomena and make predictions about how a system will change over time.