Solving f(x) = 5^sqrt(2(x^2)-1)

• Thread starter ludi_srbin
  • Start date
In summary, f(x)=5^sqrt(2(x^2)-1) has a range of (1, infinity) for y-values. If x=-2, then f equals 5^sqrt(7). If x=sqrt(2)/2, then f(x)=1. The lowest possible x-value for this function is sqrt(1/2). The term "domain" is typically used for x-values, while "range" is usually used for y-values.
ludi_srbin
f(x)=5^sqrt(2(x^2)-1)

I got that range is (1, to infinity)

Is it correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does f equal if x = -2 ?

5^sqrt(7). If x=sqrt(2)/2, then I get F(x)=1

Isn't x= sqrt(1/2) the lowest you can go?

By range, do you mean the range of x-values or y-values ?

If it's for the y-values then your range of 1 - infinity is correct.

If it's for the x-values, then that's a bit different.

For y values. They teach us to call x-values domain.

That's right.
I use domain for x-values and co-domain for y-values.
But I've seen range used for x-values before.

Related to Solving f(x) = 5^sqrt(2(x^2)-1)

1. What is the equation "f(x) = 5^sqrt(2(x^2)-1)" used for?

The equation "f(x) = 5^sqrt(2(x^2)-1)" is commonly used in mathematics and physics to represent a function with a variable x. It can be used to solve for x or to analyze the behavior of the function as x changes.

2. How do you solve the equation "f(x) = 5^sqrt(2(x^2)-1)"?

To solve the equation "f(x) = 5^sqrt(2(x^2)-1)", you first need to isolate the variable x on one side of the equation. This can be done by using algebraic techniques such as factoring, expanding, or using the quadratic formula. Once x is isolated, you can plug in different values for x to find the corresponding values of f(x).

3. What is the significance of the number 5 in the equation "f(x) = 5^sqrt(2(x^2)-1)"?

The number 5 in the equation "f(x) = 5^sqrt(2(x^2)-1)" is known as the base of the exponential function. It determines the rate at which the function grows or decays as the variable x changes. In this case, the base 5 indicates that the function will grow or decay at a faster rate compared to other exponential functions with a smaller base.

4. How does the term "2(x^2)-1" in the equation "f(x) = 5^sqrt(2(x^2)-1)" affect the function?

The term "2(x^2)-1" in the equation "f(x) = 5^sqrt(2(x^2)-1)" is inside the square root, which means it affects the input of the function. This term is known as the argument of the function and it determines the values of x that can be plugged into the function. In this case, the argument must be equal to or greater than 0 for the function to be defined.

5. Can the equation "f(x) = 5^sqrt(2(x^2)-1)" have multiple solutions?

Yes, the equation "f(x) = 5^sqrt(2(x^2)-1)" can have multiple solutions. This is because there can be more than one value of x that satisfies the equation. Additionally, for different values of x, the function may have multiple outputs (i.e. different values of f(x)). This means that there can be multiple solutions to the equation depending on the context and the given restrictions.