Solving Exponent Remainders: 2^256 Mod 17 Using a Pattern Method

• Thread starter sambarbarian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponents
In summary, to find the remainder when 2^256 is divided by 17, you can try expressing 2^256 in different forms, such as 16^64 or powers of 2, and apply the properties of modulo to simplify the calculation. This may require converting to different bases, but it can help identify patterns that make the calculation more manageable. Keep in mind that modulo can also be read as "remainder when divided by," which may be more familiar at a class 10 level.
sambarbarian
What will be the remainder when 2^256 is divided by 17 ?

I tried expressing 2^256 as 16^64 and seeking a pattern between the remainders of the multiples of 16 when divided by 17 , but that didn't work

Physics news on Phys.org
Try converting 17 to base 2, and doing the divide in base 2 to look for a pattern, or convert to base 16 and divide in base 16. You'll need to convert back to decimal once you find a pattern.

no luck

Some really useful properties of modulo.

1. (a + b) mod q = ( (a mod q) + (b mod q) ) mod q

2. (a b) mod q = ( (a mod q) (b mod q) ) mod q

3. (b^a) mod q = ( (b mod q)^a ) mod q

Note that for the last one you can take the modulo of the base (but not the exponent) before doing the exponentiation, without changing the final result. Use this to break your exponentiation down to a manageable size.

So for example write [itex]2^{256} \mod 17 = (2^{16})^{16} \mod 17[/itex] and apply property (3) above.

In base 16, you'd be dividing 100000... by 11. The quotient is F0F0F0... . In base 2 you'd be dividing 1000000... by 10001, the quotient is 1111000011110000... . The remainder at each step also goes through a pattern.

uart's modulo property #3 is also a good method and used in finite field math, but I don't know what you're expected to know at this point in your class.

Last edited:
guys , i am in class 10th and i don't know any of these things . This question must have an easy but tricky solution .

sambarbarian said:
guys , i am in class 10th and i don't know any of these things . This question must have an easy but tricky solution .

That's ok, just read "modulo q" as "remainder when divided by q" and now it's year 10 level.

2^16 modulo 17 = remainder when 2^16 is divided by 17. You can do that. :)

The pattern method is similar to what uart is suggesting.

what is

2^8 mod 17
2^16 mod 17
2^24 mod 17
2^32 mod 17

uart said:
3. (b^a) mod q = ( (b mod q)^a ) mod q

so i would get , 16^64 mod 17 = ( ( 16 mod 17 )^64 ) mod 17

how do i solve this ?

sambarbarian said:
so i would get , 16^64 mod 17 = ( ( 16 mod 17 )^64 ) mod 17.
Yes, but that doesn't help, since

(16 mod 17) = 16

try

( (16^2) mod 17) ^32) mod 17

you can check this by trying

( (16^4) mod 17) ^16) mod 17

or combining multiple rules:

( ( ((16^3) mod 17) ((16^3) mod 17) ((16^2) mod 17) )^8 ) mod 17

you could also do this with powers of 2, notice a pattern (this is also what you would notice doing long division).

(2^0 mod 17) = 1
(2^1 mod 17) = 2
(2^2 mod 17) = 4
(2^3 mod 17) = 8
(2^4 mod 17) = 16
(2^5 mod 17) = 15
(2^6 mod 17) = 13
(2^7 mod 17) = 9
(2^8 mod 17) = 1
(2^9 mod 17) = 2

I'm curious as to what you've been taught in the classroom, that would have helped solve this problem. Anything about remainders or modulo properties?

Last edited:
it isn't a classroom problem , i am preparing for a scholarship 9 ( ntse ) and i found it in the sample papers :)

sambarbarian said:
it isn't a classroom problem , i am preparing for a scholarship 9 ( ntse ) and i found it in the sample papers.
Then the problem is probably based on how modulo works and the 3 rules posted by uart.

Related to Solving Exponent Remainders: 2^256 Mod 17 Using a Pattern Method

1. What is the purpose of solving for exponent remainders using a pattern method?

The purpose of solving for exponent remainders using a pattern method is to efficiently calculate the remainder of a large exponent when divided by a smaller number. This method involves identifying a pattern in the remainders and using it to find the remainder for any given exponent.

2. How does the pattern method work for solving for exponent remainders?

The pattern method works by first dividing the exponent by the modulus (in this case, 17) and then using the remainder as the starting point for a pattern. The pattern is then repeated until the exponent is reached. The final remainder is the value of the pattern at the specified exponent.

3. Why is it important to use a pattern method for solving for exponent remainders?

Using a pattern method is important because it is a more efficient way to solve for exponent remainders compared to other methods, such as brute force or long division. It also allows for easy calculations of remainders for extremely large exponents.

4. What is the significance of the number 17 in the example of solving for 2^256 Mod 17 using a pattern method?

The number 17 is the modulus in this example, which means it is the number we are dividing the exponent by to find the remainder. The choice of the modulus can greatly affect the pattern and the resulting remainder, so it is important to choose a suitable modulus for accurate calculations.

5. Can the pattern method be applied to solve for any exponent remainder?

Yes, the pattern method can be applied to solve for any exponent remainder as long as the modulus is a relatively prime number to the base. This means that the greatest common divisor of the base and the modulus is 1. In this example, 2 and 17 are relatively prime numbers.