Solving coupled equations analytically

In summary, the equation is as attached where, - α, β and γ are constants - i1 and i2 are the variables. Also attached, is my attempt and where I stuck at. If anyone has an idea how to convert this into Bernoulli’s form, please I really need help. If there are any other ideas please let me know too..
asifadio
Homework Statement
I'm trying to solve this coupled equation analytically. My strategy is to convert it into the Bernoulli’s form. But as you can see on my attempt, i got stuck on it.
Relevant Equations
I failed to convert it to Bernoulli’s form and now kinda ran out of ideas.
The equation is as attached where,
- α, β and γ are constants
- i1 and i2 are the variables.

Also attached, is my attempt and where I stuck at.

If anyone has an idea how to convert this into Bernoulli’s form, please I really need help. If there are any other ideas please let me know too..

Really appreciate it in advance!

Thank you.
Asif

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-07-17 at 2.57.30 PM.png
    Screenshot 2021-07-17 at 2.57.30 PM.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 106
  • Screenshot 2021-07-17 at 3.18.26 PM.png
    Screenshot 2021-07-17 at 3.18.26 PM.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 110
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Solve the second for ##i_1## and from this expression that you find for ##i_1## calculate also ##\frac{di_1}{du}## which will be an expression containing ##\frac{d^2i_2}{du^2}## and ##\frac{di_2}{du}##.

Then go back in the first and replace ##i_1## with what you found and also replace ##\frac{di_1}{du}## with what you found.

If all go well, I think you ll find a second order linear ODE for ##i_2##.

You can do it the way just suggested.
But then how do you solve the second order differential equation? Usually you try the solution i1= eλu and you find that leads to a quadratic in λ.
However you can equally well try the same solution in the original pair of equations and it will lead you to the same result.

Good that you tried to work out a way yourself. The time will not have been wasted. It will have helped you when you go as you now should to your textbook and where you will find this is absolutely all very standard stuff.
In fact it has often seemed to me that everything students have done up to where you are now in math, linear algebraic equations, polynomials, trigonometry, complex numbers,… has had the purpose of leading them to linear differential equations where that and also physics stuff all come together.

Important to realize that n first order differential equations in n variables are equivalent to or can be changed into one ##n##-th order one In one variable, and vice versa. And pretty much the same thing for second order or other orders.

Last edited:

Related to Solving coupled equations analytically

1. What are coupled equations?

Coupled equations are a set of two or more equations that are connected or dependent on each other. This means that the solution to one equation affects the solution to the other equations.

2. How do you solve coupled equations analytically?

To solve coupled equations analytically, you need to use algebraic methods to manipulate the equations and find a solution that satisfies all of them simultaneously. This often involves substitution and elimination techniques.

3. What are the advantages of solving coupled equations analytically?

Solving coupled equations analytically allows for a precise and exact solution, which can be useful in scientific research and engineering applications. It also helps in understanding the relationship between the equations and their solutions.

4. What are the limitations of solving coupled equations analytically?

Solving coupled equations analytically can be time-consuming and complex, especially for systems with more than two equations. It also assumes that the equations are linear and have a closed-form solution, which may not always be the case.

5. Can coupled equations be solved numerically instead of analytically?

Yes, coupled equations can also be solved numerically using computational methods such as the finite difference method or the Runge-Kutta method. These methods approximate the solution by breaking it down into smaller steps and using iterative calculations.