Solving Coefficant Matrices with Legendre Polynomials

• MHB
  • Thread starter ognik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, the conversation discusses finding diagonal matrices A and B that correspond to the coefficients in a Legendre polynomial series and how to express those coefficients as column matrices. The speaker also asks for confirmation or correction on their findings.
ognik
Whenever a problem seems too easy, I assume I'm missing something :-)

This is in a section on Legendre polynomials ...

Given the series $ \alpha_0 + \alpha_2Cos^2\theta +\alpha_4C^4 +\alpha_6C^6 = a_0P_0 + a_2P_2 + a_4P_4 +a_6P_6 $ (abbreviating $Cos^n\theta$ to $C^n$)

Express both coefficients as col. matrices and find A, B such that $A\vec{\alpha}=\vec{a} $ and $ B\vec{a}=\vec{\alpha} $

I found, almost by inspection, that A was the diagonal matrix with elements $ P_0, \frac{P_0}{C^2}, \frac{P_4}{C^4}, \frac{P_6}{C^6} $, similarly B is diagonal with elements $ \frac{1}{P_0}, \frac{C^2}{P_2}, \frac{C^4}{P_4}, \frac{C^6}{P_6} $ (and $AB=I$) Please confirm/correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, people are normally so helpful here, so I figure when I don't get a reply I've done something wrong - if I have just let me know what please :-)

So my A is $ \begin{bmatrix}P_{0}&0&0&0 \\0&\frac{P_{2}}{C^2}&0&0 \\0&0&\frac{P_4}{C^4}&0\\0&0&0&\frac{P_6}{C^6} \end{bmatrix}$ , if someone can confirm/correct that, I'll be happy with the rest.

I could get an A with just entries in col 1, but I chose the diagonal matrices because it's more useful/important - also a basis for example?

Probably best if show the col. matrices I found.

So $ \vec{\alpha} =\left[1, C^2, C^4, C^6\right] $ and $ \vec{a} = \left[P_0, P_2, P_4, P_6\right] $

Any comments on these, or my matrix A?

Related to Solving Coefficant Matrices with Legendre Polynomials

1. What are Legendre polynomials and what are they used for?

Legendre polynomials are a set of orthogonal functions (meaning they are perpendicular to each other) that are commonly used in mathematics and physics. They are named after French mathematician Adrien-Marie Legendre and are used for solving differential equations, approximating functions, and representing physical systems.

2. How are Legendre polynomials related to solving coefficant matrices?

Legendre polynomials can be used to create a basis for the solution space of a system of linear equations. This means that the coefficients of the Legendre polynomials can be used as the unknown variables in the system, allowing for the coefficients to be solved for and the matrix to be solved.

3. Are Legendre polynomials the only way to solve coefficant matrices?

No, Legendre polynomials are just one of many methods that can be used to solve coefficant matrices. Other methods include Gaussian elimination, Cramer's rule, and matrix inversion.

4. Can Legendre polynomials be used for any type of matrix?

Yes, Legendre polynomials can be used to solve any square matrix. However, the matrix must be invertible (meaning it has a unique solution) in order for the method to work.

5. Is there a specific formula for solving coefficant matrices with Legendre polynomials?

Yes, the formula for solving coefficant matrices with Legendre polynomials is known as the Legendre-Gauss elimination method. It involves transforming the matrix into a triangular form and then solving for the coefficients of the Legendre polynomials using back substitution.