Solving an Example Euler Equation Problem | Understanding the Reduction Process

• Thread starter Quadruple Bypass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Euler
In summary, the conversation is about a problem using F = y(1+(y')^2)^1/2, eulers eqn, and the attempted solution which involves d/dx[y*y'/(1+(y')^2)^1/2)] - (1+(y')^2)^1/2 = 0. The book loses the person after doing some kind of reduction without showing the steps in between. Eventually, the person realizes their mistake and the conversation ends.
Quadruple Bypass

Homework Statement

This is a problem that the book uses as an example and I've been trying since friday to get the same answer but i have not had any success, i need help :(

Well in this problem, F = y(1+(y')^2)^1/2

Homework Equations

eulers eqn

d/dx(partial(F)/partial(y')) - (partial(F)/partial(y)) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

i get up to

d/dx[y*y'/(1+(y')^2)^1/2)] - (1+(y')^2)^1/2 = 0

but then the book loses me after doing some kind of reduction without showing the steps in between.

after the reduction, they get: y*y"-((y')^2) -1 = 0

could someone help me out with what they did in between? any help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh my god i am an idiot, i can't believe it took me this long to figure it out...

Ignore thread =/

Related to Solving an Example Euler Equation Problem | Understanding the Reduction Process

1. What is an example Euler equation problem?

An example Euler equation problem involves finding the general solution to a differential equation of the form y' = f(x,y). This type of problem is commonly used in mathematical modeling and can be solved using a variety of techniques.

2. Why is it important to understand the reduction process for solving Euler equations?

The reduction process allows for the simplification of an example Euler equation problem, making it easier to solve and understand. It also provides insight into the behavior of the solution and helps to identify any critical points.

3. What are the steps involved in solving an example Euler equation problem?

The first step is to rewrite the equation in standard form y' = f(x,y). Then, using the reduction process, eliminate the independent variable x to obtain a reduced equation in terms of y. The solution can then be found by integrating the reduced equation and solving for y.

4. What are some common techniques used to solve example Euler equation problems?

Some common techniques include separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. Each technique has its own advantages and may be more suitable for certain types of problems.

5. How can understanding the reduction process help in real-world applications?

The reduction process is a valuable tool in understanding the behavior of solutions to differential equations, which are used to model various real-world phenomena. By simplifying the problem and identifying critical points, the reduction process can help in making predictions and analyzing the behavior of the system.