Solving Abstract Inequalities: Proving (a+b)(a-b) = 0 for Positive a and b

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving inequalities and confirms the correctness of a solution, in accordance with the textbook's requirements. The solution involves manipulating equations and accounting for different cases.
odolwa99

Homework Statement

The final answer I have of [itex](a+b)(a-b)[/itex] does not appear to fit the textbook's required "results of inequalities which hold true for all real no.s", i.e. either: 1. [itex](a)^2[/itex] or [itex](a-b)^2[/itex] or 2. [itex]-(a+b)^2[/itex]. Can anyone confirm if I have solved this correctly, in line with the conditions the book has described above?

Many thanks.

Q. If a > 0 & b > 0, show that: [itex]\frac{1}{a}+\frac{1}{b}\geq\frac{2}{a+b}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt: if [itex]\frac{a+b}{ab}\geq\frac{2}{a+b}[/itex]
if [itex]a+b\geq\frac{2ab}{a+b}[/itex]
if [itex](a+b)(a+b)\geq2ab[/itex]
if [itex]a^2+2ab+b^2-2ab\geq0[/itex]
if [itex](a+b)(a-b)\geq0[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
It should be obvious that (a+ b)(a- b) is NOT always positive: take a= 1, b= 2 so that (a+ b)(a- b)= (3)(-1)= -3.

In which case I should conclude with:
if [itex]a^2+b^2\geq0[/itex]?

odolwa99 said:

Homework Statement

The final answer I have of [itex](a+b)(a-b)[/itex] does not appear to fit the textbook's required "results of inequalities which hold true for all real no.s", i.e. either: 1. [itex](a)^2[/itex] or [itex](a-b)^2[/itex] or 2. [itex]-(a+b)^2[/itex]. Can anyone confirm if I have solved this correctly, in line with the conditions the book has described above?

Many thanks.

Q. If a > 0 & b > 0, show that: [itex]\frac{1}{a}+\frac{1}{b}\geq\frac{2}{a+b}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt: if [itex]\frac{a+b}{ab}\geq\frac{2}{a+b}[/itex]
if [itex]a+b\geq\frac{2ab}{a+b}[/itex]
if [itex](a+b)(a+b)\geq2ab[/itex]
if [itex]a^2+2ab+b^2-2ab\geq0[/itex]
if [itex](a+b)(a-b)\geq0[/itex]

Why do you have "if" starting each line?

You have done several things that aren't always valid.
1. You got to the 2nd step by multiplying both sides of the original inequality by ab. If a and b have opposite signs, the inequality direction in step 2 needs to switch.
2. To get to step 3, you multiplied by a + b. If a + b < 0, the inequality direction needs to switch.

You haven't taken this into consideration, so what you ended with doesn't necessarily follow what you started with.

To account for the 'if's', I'll post an image of an example from the book where I got this question from (apologies for the slightly fuzzy image).
As for points 1. & 2., I guess I will need to keep the clutter away from the RHS of the equation, so the inequality remains true, and I avoid having to change signs.

Attachments

• math (2).JPG
    math (2).JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 427

Related to Solving Abstract Inequalities: Proving (a+b)(a-b) = 0 for Positive a and b

1. What are abstract inequalities?

Abstract inequalities are mathematical statements that compare two quantities using symbols such as <, >, ≤, and ≥. These symbols represent the relationships of less than, greater than, less than or equal to, and greater than or equal to, respectively.

2. Why is it important to prove (a+b)(a-b) = 0 for positive a and b?

Proving this equation is important because it is a fundamental property in algebra that is used to solve various mathematical problems. It also helps in understanding the properties of positive numbers and how they interact with each other in equations.

3. How do you solve abstract inequalities?

To solve abstract inequalities, you must follow the same rules as you would for solving regular equations. This includes adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing both sides of the inequality by the same number. However, when multiplying or dividing by a negative number, the direction of the inequality must be reversed.

4. Can you provide an example of solving (a+b)(a-b) = 0 for positive a and b?

Sure, for example, let's say we have the inequality 2x + 6 > 10. To solve this, we first subtract 6 from both sides, giving us 2x > 4. Then, we divide both sides by 2, giving us x > 2. So the solution to this inequality is all numbers greater than 2.

5. How can you apply the concept of (a+b)(a-b) = 0 to real-world situations?

This concept can be applied to various real-world situations, such as calculating the volume of a rectangular prism or determining the maximum profit a company can make with certain production costs. It can also be used in physics to solve problems involving motion, such as finding the maximum height of a ball thrown into the air. Essentially, it helps us understand the relationships between positive numbers and how they behave in different scenarios.