Solving a Quick Complex Number Question: Finding z in 4z + z(bar) = 5 + 9i

In summary, using the given equation 4z + z(bar) = 5 + 9i, we can solve for z by setting z = a + bi, taking the real and imaginary parts, and finding the values of a and b that satisfy the equation. The final solution is z = 1 + 3i.
vorcil
4z + z(bar) = 5 + 9i
then z = [solve for this]

I don't know how to re arrange this equation

(5+9i)/4 = z+z(bar)

Physics news on Phys.org
z+z(bar)=2Re(z)
but written
4z + z(bar) = 5 + 9i
is not the same as
(5+9i)/4 = z+z(bar)
but
4(z + z(bar) )= 5 + 9i
is

Just write z=a+bi and separate it into real and imaginary parts.

lurflurf, I can't see where you are headed with your approach.

lurflurf said:
z+z(bar)=2Re(z)
but written
4z + z(bar) = 5 + 9i
is not the same as
(5+9i)/4 = z+z(bar)
but
4(z + z(bar) )= 5 + 9i
is

[tex]4(z+\bar{z})=4z+4\bar{z} \neq 4z+\bar{z}[/tex]

vorcil take Dick's approach. Just remember that [itex]\bar{z}[/itex] is the complex conjugate of z, thus if z=a+ib then [itex]\bar{z}[/itex]=a-ib

Mentallic said:
lurflurf, I can't see where you are headed with your approach.

[tex]4(z+\bar{z})=4z+4\bar{z} \neq 4z+\bar{z}[/tex]

vorcil take Dick's approach. Just remember that [itex]\bar{z}[/itex] is the complex conjugate of z, thus if z=a+ib then [itex]\bar{z}[/itex]=a-ib

4z + z(bar) = 5 + 9i

4z(re) + z(bar)(re) = 5
4z + zbar = 5, z(re) = 1 since zbar(re) = z(re)

4z(im) + z(bar)(im) = 9i
4x - x = 9
z(im) = 3i

z = 1 + 3i
checking
4(1+3i) + (1-3i) = 5+9i

is that right?

Yes that is correct, except just remember to be sure to re-read the question so you answer exactly what it asked. "solve for z"
So then just at the end write: z=1+3i

Also, just another similar method which you might find simpler and this usually makes a larger variety of questions more simple and easy to understand:

[tex]4z+\bar{z}=5+9i[/tex]

let z=a+ib

[tex]4a+4ib+a-ib=5+9i[/tex]

[tex]5a+3ib\equiv 5+9i[/tex]

Hence,
[tex]5a=5, a=1[/tex]
[tex]3ib=9i, b=3[/tex]

Therefore, [tex]z=1+3i[/tex]

Related to Solving a Quick Complex Number Question: Finding z in 4z + z(bar) = 5 + 9i

What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that is composed of two parts: a real number and an imaginary number. It can be written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, with i being the imaginary unit.

What is the difference between a real number and an imaginary number?

A real number is a number that can be written without an imaginary part, while an imaginary number is a number that is multiplied by the imaginary unit i. Real numbers are located on the horizontal axis of a complex number plane, while imaginary numbers are located on the vertical axis.

How do you add or subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply combine the real parts and then combine the imaginary parts. For example, (3 + 2i) + (5 + 4i) = (3+5) + (2i+4i) = 8 + 6i. You can also use the commutative property to rearrange the order of the numbers.

How do you multiply complex numbers?

To multiply complex numbers, you use the FOIL method, which stands for First, Outer, Inner, Last. This means you multiply the first terms, then the outer terms, then the inner terms, and finally the last terms. For example, (3 + 2i)(5 + 4i) = 15 + 12i + 10i + 8i^2 = 15 + 22i - 8 = 7 + 22i.

How do you divide complex numbers?

To divide complex numbers, you use the concept of complex conjugates. This means you multiply the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator. For example, (3 + 2i) / (5 + 4i) = (3 + 2i)(5 - 4i) / (5 + 4i)(5 - 4i) = (15 - 12i + 10i - 8i^2) / (25 - 20i + 20i - 16i^2) = (15 - 2) / (25 + 16) = 13 / 41.