Solving a PDE with Characteristic Curves and Initial Conditions

In summary, the student is trying to find the general solution of a first order partial differential equation. They integrate the y equation to obtain y=s+\pi /2, substitute this into the equation for x and integrate to obtain x=\sin s+r. They are then supposed to determine the characteristic curves in the xy plane and draw 3 of them. The general solution is found and it is shown that u(0,0) = e. Finally, the region of influence of the initial conditions is sketched.
gtfitzpatrick

Homework Statement

sin(y)[itex]\frac{ \partial u}{ \partial x} + \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial y} = (xcos(y)-sin^2(y))u[/itex]

where ln(u(x,[itex]\frac{\pi}{2})) = x^2 + x - \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] for [itex]-1 \leq x \leq 3[/itex]

determine the characteristic curves in the xy plane and draw 3 of them
determine the general solution of this pde
determine the particular solution and show that u(0,0) = e
sketch the region of influence of the initial conditions

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

dy/dx = 1/siny this gives K = x + cosy
if i draw this out is it a cos wave along the y-axis and to draw 3 of them i let k = 0,1,2?
what happens as i add k?

Physics news on Phys.org
to get the general solution [itex] \frac{ du}{ dx} [/itex] = [itex] \frac{xcos(y) - sin^2(y))u}{ sin y}[/itex]

for which i get ln(u) = [itex] x^2 \frac{cosy}{2siny} -xsiny +F(x-cosy)[/itex]

so then i transferred in the given value[itex] y= \pi/2 [/itex] just to check if it works out but it doesnt. what am i doing wrong here. Am i even going about this the right way...

Last edited:
Write the PDE as:
[tex]
\dot{x}=\sin y,\quad\dot{y}=1,\quad\dot{u}=(x\cos y-\sin^{2}y)u
[/tex]
Integrate the y equation to obtain [itex]y=s+\pi /2[/itex], substitute this into the equation for x and integrate to obtain [itex]x=\sin s+r[/itex], where we parametrised the initial data as x=r, and [itex]u(r)=r^{2}+r-\pi /2[/itex], insert this into the final equation and integrate as a function of s, the characteristic variable. This will be your general solution.

hunt_mat said:
Write the PDE as:
[tex]
Integrate the y equation to obtain [itex]y=s+\pi /2[/itex],

Hi Mat,
Thanks a million.
I don't understand where the pi/2 came from?the constant of integration..

If s is the characteristic variable, then [itex]y(0)=\pi /2[/itex].

Do you have my notes on first order PDEs?

Thanks, that makes sense.

are your notes online?

As the initial conditions (at s=0) are paramatrised by [itex]x=r[/itex], [itex]y=\pi /2[/itex] and [itex]\log u=r^{2}+r-\pi /2[/itex].

My notes are on this site somewhere, but if you can't find them, drop me a PM a with you e-mail and I will e-mail them to you.

I have noticed that you do ask quite a few questions about 1st order PDEs.

we use t as s here so I'm just going to leave it as t

[itex]\frac{dx}{dt} = sin(y)[/itex]

[itex]\frac{dy}{dt} = 1 [/itex]
y=t+k
@t=0 y=[itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]
=>y=t+[itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]

then
[itex]\frac{dx}{dt} = sin(t+ \frac{\pi}{2})[/itex]
Simplifies to [itex]\frac{dx}{dt} = cos(t)[/itex]
so x = sint + k

you parameterised x=r and subed into eq 3.

do i sub in the values I've got for x and y into eq3? no mater what i sub in it doesn't work out.

You have dx/dt=sin(t-pi/2) and using the initial values you also have x+sin(y)=r. So what you do is substitute x and y for their respective functions and integrate.

hunt_mat said:
You have dx/dt=sin(t-pi/2)

should that be dx/dt=sin(t+pi/2)

Sorry, you're right.

[itex]\frac{du}{dt} = xcos(t+\frac{\pi}{2}) -sin^2(t+\frac{\pi}{2})[/itex]

[itex]\frac{du}{dt} = -xsin(t) -sin^2(t+\frac{\pi}{2})[/itex]

[itex]\frac{du}{dt} = -(sin(t) + k)sin(t) -sin^2(t+\frac{\pi}{2})[/itex]

[itex]\frac{du}{dt} = -(sin^2(t) + ksin(t) -sin^2(t+\frac{\pi}{2})[/itex]

and then integrate?

sorry there should be a u at the end of all them eqs

Expand the trig function and then integrate.

i do it all out and i get ln(u) = t-ksin(t)

We have [itex]y=t+\pi /2[/itex] and [itex]x=\sin t+k[/itex], inserting these in the equation for u to obtain:
[tex]
\frac{\dot{u}}{u}=(\sin t+k)(-\sin t)-\sin^{2}t
[/tex]
Now to integrate this.

is that not the same as [itex]\frac{\dot{u}}{u}=(-2sin^2 t + ksin t) [/itex]

for which i get [itex] -(t-\frac{1}{2}Sin 2t) + kcos t [/itex] and then i throw in the values for k and t but...

That is, you should get the solution:
[tex]
\log u=\frac{1}{2}\sin 2t-t-k\cos t+k^{2}+k-\frac{\pi}{2}
[/tex]
Upon using the initial condition for u. Now insert [itex]t=y-\pi /2[/itex] and [itex]k=x+\cos y[/itex] and you have your solution.

is the intregral of [tex]-2sin^2 t [/tex] not [itex]\frac{1}{2}(t-\frac{1}{2}sin(2t) [/itex] and ksin(t) =kcos(t)...i don't follow where you got the k^2 from...

Oh yes, you're correct my mistake. The k^2 term comes from the initial condition for u which is:
[tex]
u\left( k,\frac{\pi}{2}\right) =k^{2}+k-\frac{\pi}{2}
[/tex]

right so we've integrated but i still don't get why you just added k^2+k-pi/2 on to the end of the integral...

oh feck, sorry its obvious. Thanks a million

From here it should be easy to compute u(0,0) to get the answer required. My notes have notes of examples like this.

u(0,0) is grand, no bothers there.
The region of influence though, is there anything in your notes about it?

Sadly no, you will have to do a bit of googling for that.

Related to Solving a PDE with Characteristic Curves and Initial Conditions

1. How do I determine the characteristic curves for a PDE?

The characteristic curves for a PDE can be determined by finding the characteristic equations, which are derived from the coefficients of the PDE. These equations will give the directions in which the characteristics curves will lie.

2. What is the importance of characteristic curves in solving a PDE?

Characteristic curves are important in solving a PDE because they provide a way to visualize the solution to the PDE. They also help in determining the initial conditions for the PDE and can be used to check the validity of the solution.

3. How do I incorporate initial conditions into the solution using characteristic curves?

To incorporate initial conditions into the solution using characteristic curves, we need to find the points where the characteristic curves intersect the initial condition surface. These points will then serve as the starting points for the solution.

4. Can characteristic curves be used to solve any type of PDE?

No, characteristic curves can only be used to solve certain types of PDEs, specifically first-order PDEs with constant coefficients. They cannot be used for higher-order PDEs or PDEs with variable coefficients.

5. Are there any limitations to using characteristic curves in solving PDEs?

Yes, there are some limitations to using characteristic curves in solving PDEs. As mentioned before, they can only be used for certain types of PDEs and cannot be used for higher-order or variable coefficient PDEs. Additionally, the solution obtained using characteristic curves may not always be unique or may not exist at all.