Solving a limit by l'hopital's rule

In summary: Note that the second property is simply the first one with ##b=1/b##. It is important that you remember those properties.
iwantcalculus
Member warned about not using the homework template
So, according to answer sheet, the answer is 1...

The question is :

limit as x approaches infinity of : squareroot( x^2 + x ) - squareroot( x^2 - x)

I tried to put it in a limit calculator, but the steps shown are very complex and don't even involve l'hopital's rule...

I think the solution is by making e (natural number) to the power of natural logarithim of the function, but it's not working with me.. when I do that, I get the final answer e, but the final answer should be 1, as shown by answer sheet and limit calculator... please help...

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show us what you actually did, not just describe it in words. How else are we going to see where you go wrong? Also, please do not delete the homework template. It is provided for a reason.

Orodruin said:
You need to show us what you actually did, not just describe it in words. How else are we going to see where you go wrong? Also, please do not delete the homework template. It is provided for a reason.

I thought you were supposed to read the template and then remove it, but I did the stuff in the template... Now I hope mods don't remove it...

And this is my solution :
tpNdDrQ.jpg

please help!

An error in your calculation: ##\log(a-b) \neq \frac{\log(a)}{\log(b)}##

(A correct equation is ##\log(\frac {a}{b})=\log(a)-\log(b)##.)

What happens when you multiply and divide ##(\sqrt{x²+x}-\sqrt{x²-x})## with ##(\sqrt{x²+x}+\sqrt{x²-x})##?

Please don't attach images like that, type it out in the forum! There are several reasons for this, one being that it is difficult to read, another that it is impossible to quote.

You seem to have used ##\ln(x-y) = \ln(x)/\ln(y)##. This is not true, what is true is ##\ln(x/y) = \ln(x) - \ln(y)##.

Samy_A said:
An error in your calculation: ##\log(a-b) \neq \frac{\log(a)}{\log(b)}##

(A correct equation is ##\log(\frac {a}{b})=\log(a)-\log(b)##.)

What happens when you multiply and divide ##(\sqrt{x²+x}-\sqrt{x²-x})## with ##(\sqrt{x²+x}+\sqrt{x²-x})##?

Orodruin said:
Please don't attach images like that, type it out in the forum! There are several reasons for this, one being that it is difficult to read, another that it is impossible to quote.

You seem to have used ##\ln(x-y) = \ln(x)/\ln(y)##. This is not true, what is true is ##\ln(x/y) = \ln(x) - \ln(y)##.

Sorry, so how do you solve these questions correctly if that property is not true? I am stuck there now...

iwantcalculus said:
Sorry, so how do you solve these questions correctly if that property is not true? I am stuck there now...
Samy_A also asked you a direct question in his post. Try to answer that.

iwantcalculus said:
L'Hôpital's rule applies to a fraction. So you have to transform ##(\sqrt{x²+x}-\sqrt{x²-x})## into a fraction.
One way to do this is what I suggested in my previous post:
Samy_A said:

Samy_A said:
L'Hôpital's rule applies to a fraction. So you have to transform ##(\sqrt{x²+x}-\sqrt{x²-x})## into a fraction.
One way to do this is what I suggested in my previous post:
Thanks alot... problem solved! turns out there was no need for e and ln...\Edit: a new question came to my mind,

about the natural log, when we take natural log of both sides

like imagine : x+x = x^2 +x -2 or anything you can make up
if i take natural log of both sides

is it ln(x+x) = ln(x^2 +x -2)

or

lnx+lnx = lnx^2 + ln x - ln2

Last edited:
iwantcalculus said:
Thanks alot... problem solved! turns out there was no need for e and ln...\
about the natural log, when we take natural log of both sides

like imagine : x+x = x^2 +x -2 or anything you can make up
if i take natural log of both sides

is it ln(x+x) = ln(x^2 +x -2)

or

lnx+lnx = lnx^2 + ln x - ln2
The first one.
Some basic and useful properties of the logarithm (to any base) are:
##\log(ab)=\log(a)+\log(b)##
##\log(\frac {a}{b})=\log(a)-\log(b)##
##\log(a^b)=b\log(a)##

Related to Solving a limit by l'hopital's rule

1. What is L'Hopital's rule?

L'Hopital's rule is a mathematical tool used to evaluate limits of indeterminate forms, such as 0/0 or infinity/infinity. It states that if the limit of a function f(x) as x approaches a certain value is indeterminate, then the limit of the ratio of f(x) and g(x) as x approaches the same value is equal to the limit of the ratio of the derivative of f(x) and g(x).

2. When should I use L'Hopital's rule to solve a limit?

L'Hopital's rule should only be used when the limit of a function is indeterminate. This means that the limit evaluates to either 0/0 or infinity/infinity. It cannot be used for other types of limits.

3. How do I apply L'Hopital's rule to solve a limit?

To apply L'Hopital's rule, first determine if the limit is indeterminate. If it is, take the derivative of both the numerator and denominator of the function. Then, evaluate the limit using the new derivatives. If the limit is still indeterminate, repeat the process until you reach a solution or the limit is no longer indeterminate.

4. Can L'Hopital's rule be used for limits at infinity?

Yes, L'Hopital's rule can be used for limits at infinity. In this case, the limit is indeterminate if the function approaches infinity/infinity or 0/0 as x approaches infinity or negative infinity. The same process of taking the derivative of the numerator and denominator can be applied.

5. Are there any limitations or restrictions when using L'Hopital's rule?

Yes, there are some limitations and restrictions when using L'Hopital's rule. It can only be applied to indeterminate forms, and it should only be used when all other methods of evaluating the limit have failed. Additionally, the rule may not work if the function is not continuous or differentiable at the point where the limit is being evaluated.