Solving $(a+b+c)^2$ for Positive $a,b,c$

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Positive
In summary: Anyway, I still want to know your solution, Opalg, or any other member's solution to the given problem. I'm always intrigued by the many different ways math can be seen and solved. It's like seeing many different perspectives of the same thing. And it's so beautiful!I don't think I have a solution to this problem, but here are some ideas:1. I tried substituting $x = a+b+c$, $y = ab+bc+ca$, $z=abc$ into the given equations, which yields the equations $x^2 - 2y = 9$, $y^2 - 2xz = 16$, $z^2 - 2xy = 25$. I
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Given positive real values $a,\,b,\,c$ such that

$a^2+b^2+ab=9$

$b^2+c^2+bc=16$

$c^2+a^2+ca=25$

Evaluate $(a+b+c)^2$.

Note:

If you've noticed that I've already posted this problem before, please kindly send me a PM so I could delete this one. Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anemone said:
Given positive real values $a,\,b,\,c$ such that

$a^2+b^2+ab=9\ \qquad (1)$

$b^2+c^2+bc=16\qquad(2)$

$c^2+a^2+ca=25\qquad(3)$

Evaluate $(a+b+c)^2$.
[sp]Let $\Sigma = a+b+c.$ Subtract (1) from (2): $c^2-a^2 + (c-a)b = 7,$ which can be written as $(c-a)\Sigma = 7.$ Thus $(c-a)^2 = \dfrac{49}{\Sigma^2}.$ Next, (3) can be written as $(c-a)^2 + 3ca = 25.$ Therefore $3ca = 25 - \dfrac{49}{\Sigma^2}.$

Applying the same tactics to the other pairs of variables, we get $3ab = 9 - \dfrac{81}{\Sigma^2}$ and $3bc = 16 - \dfrac{256}{\Sigma^2}.$

Next, add the three equations (1), (2), (3): $2(a^2+b^2+c^2) + ab + bc + ca = 50$, which can be written as $2\Sigma^2 - 3(ab+bc+ca) = 50.$ Subsitute the above expressions for $ca$, $ab$ and $bc$ to get $2\Sigma^2 - 50 + \dfrac{386}{\Sigma^2} = 50$, which reduces to $\Sigma^4 - 50 \Sigma^2 + 193 = 0.$ That quadratic equation has solutions $\Sigma^2 = 25 \pm 12\sqrt3.$ But $\Sigma^2 > (a+c)^2 > c^2+a^2 + ca = 25$, so $\Sigma^2$ cannot be equal to $25 - 12\sqrt3.$ Therefore $\Sigma^2 = 25 + 12\sqrt3.$[/sp]

Well done, Opalg! And thanks for participating!:)

I've another good solution to share with the members at MHB:
Note that the system of equations can be transformed into$a^2+b^2-2ab\cos 120^{\circ}=9$

$b^2+c^2-2bc\cos 120^{\circ}=16$

$c^2+a^2-2ca\cos 120^{\circ}=25$

We can then transform the problem into one of a geometrical nature by constructing segments of length $a,\,b$ and $c$ inside a $3-4-5$ triangle as shown:

View attachment 2861
Next, using the fact that the area of any triangle is $\dfrac{xy\sin Z}{2}$, we get that

$\dfrac{ab\sin 120^{\circ}}{2}+\dfrac{bc\sin 120^{\circ}}{2}+\dfrac{ca\sin 120^{\circ}}{2}=\dfrac{\sqrt{3}(ab+bc+ca)}{2(2)}=6$ and so $ab+bc+ca=8\sqrt{3}$.

Adding all three original equations together yields

$2(a^2+b^2+c^2)+ab+bc+ca=50$

Plugging the value of $ab+bc+ca$ in and simlyflying gives $a^2+b^2+c^2=25-4\sqrt{3}$, finally,

$(a+b+c)^2=a^2+b^2+c^2+2(a+bc+ca)=25-4\sqrt{3}+2(8\sqrt{3})=25+12\sqrt{3}$.

Attachments

• Find (a+b+c)^2.JPG
    Find (a+b+c)^2.JPG
    8.2 KB · Views: 66
anemone said:
Well done, Opalg! And thanks for participating!:)

I've another good solution to share with the members at MHB:
Note that the system of equations can be transformed into$a^2+b^2-2ab\cos 120^{\circ}=9$

$b^2+c^2-2bc\cos 120^{\circ}=16$

$c^2+a^2-2ca\cos 120^{\circ}=25$

We can then transform the problem into one of a geometrical nature by constructing segments of length $a,\,b$ and $c$ inside a $3-4-5$ triangle as shown:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/2861
Next, using the fact that the area of any triangle is $\dfrac{xy\sin Z}{2}$, we get that

$\dfrac{ab\sin 120^{\circ}}{2}+\dfrac{bc\sin 120^{\circ}}{2}+\dfrac{ca\sin 120^{\circ}}{2}=\dfrac{\sqrt{3}(ab+bc+ca)}{2(2)}=6$ and so $ab+bc+ca=8\sqrt{3}$.

Adding all three original equations together yields

$2(a^2+b^2+c^2)+ab+bc+ca=50$

Plugging the value of $ab+bc+ca$ in and simlyflying gives $a^2+b^2+c^2=25-4\sqrt{3}$, finally,

$(a+b+c)^2=a^2+b^2+c^2+2(a+bc+ca)=25-4\sqrt{3}+2(8\sqrt{3})=25+12\sqrt{3}$.
Very elegant solution! I suspected that the numbers 9, 16, 25 ought to have some significance in this problem, but I could not see how.

Opalg said:
Very elegant solution! I suspected that the numbers 9, 16, 25 ought to have some significance in this problem, but I could not see how.

Thank you, Opalg for your compliment! I know I'm not the solver, but when you or any other members who liked my shared solutions (that are of others' production), I feel very delighted and happy! The number one and foremost reason that fuels my happiness is I love to be acknowledged by the fact that there are members who also liked and enjoyed that particular challenge problem as much as I did!:eek:

Related to Solving $(a+b+c)^2$ for Positive $a,b,c$

1. What is the formula for solving $(a+b+c)^2$ for positive $a,b,c$?

The formula for solving $(a+b+c)^2$ for positive $a,b,c$ is $(a+b+c)^2 = a^2+b^2+c^2+2ab+2ac+2bc$.

2. How do you simplify $(a+b+c)^2$ for positive $a,b,c$?

To simplify $(a+b+c)^2$ for positive $a,b,c$, we can use the formula $(a+b+c)^2 = a^2+b^2+c^2+2ab+2ac+2bc$ and substitute in the values for $a,b,c$ to get the simplified expression.

3. Can you solve $(a+b+c)^2$ for positive $a,b,c$ without using the formula?

Yes, $(a+b+c)^2$ can also be solved by expanding the expression using the FOIL method. This method involves multiplying the first terms, then the outer terms, then the inner terms, and finally the last terms of the expression. Then, combine like terms to simplify the expression.

4. What is the purpose of solving $(a+b+c)^2$ for positive $a,b,c$?

Solving $(a+b+c)^2$ for positive $a,b,c$ is useful in many mathematical calculations, such as finding the area or perimeter of a triangle or rectangle. It can also be used in solving equations in algebra.

5. Are there any real-life applications of solving $(a+b+c)^2$ for positive $a,b,c$?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of solving $(a+b+c)^2$ for positive $a,b,c$. For example, in construction and engineering, this formula can be used to calculate the length of diagonal supports in a structure. It can also be used in physics to calculate the magnitude of a resultant vector.