Solving 6/(2[1+2]), 3(3)=1 Confusion

• Thread starter leapoldstotch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusion
In summary, the question is whether the equation 6/(2[1+2])=1 should be written as 6/2(1+2)=1 or 3(3)=1. Some sources say that the parenthesis should be evaluated before dividing from left to right, while others do not mention this. There is debate over which option is correct, and it has been discussed multiple times.
leapoldstotch
Of course the answer is 9. But my question is, some sources say this is written ambiguously.
as in, 6/(2[1+2])=1
or 3(3)=1
Why do some people say one needs to evaluate what is effecting the parenthesis before dividing from left to right? I don't see anything in order of operations that would assume the first option. But when you type 6/2(1+2) into some calculators, it gives you 1. Can anybody find a source that says one needs to evaluate what is effecting the parenthesis before dividing from left to right?

Physics news on Phys.org

This has been covered over and over and over. This is not physics. Reported.

Related to Solving 6/(2[1+2]), 3(3)=1 Confusion

1. How do I solve 6/(2[1+2]), 3(3)=1 Confusion?

To solve this equation, we must follow the order of operations: parentheses, exponents, multiplication/division (from left to right), and addition/subtraction (from left to right). In this case, we first solve the expression inside the parentheses, which gives us 6/2[3]. Then, we solve the multiplication, which gives us 6/6. Finally, we solve the division and get the answer of 1.

2. What is the order of operations for solving this equation?

The order of operations is parentheses, exponents, multiplication/division (from left to right), and addition/subtraction (from left to right). This ensures that the equation is solved correctly and consistently.

3. Can I solve this equation without using the order of operations?

No, the order of operations is necessary to solve this equation correctly. If the order is not followed, the answer may be incorrect.

4. How do I approach solving expressions with parentheses?

To solve expressions with parentheses, we must first solve the expression inside the parentheses. Then, we can proceed with the rest of the equation following the order of operations.

5. What is the purpose of solving equations in science?

Solving equations in science allows us to find solutions to problems and better understand the natural world. It helps us make predictions, test hypotheses, and make informed decisions based on data and evidence.