Solve using the second funtamental theorem of calculus

In summary, the problem requires solving using the second fundamental theorem of calculus and involves integrating the function 2x^2 (√x^3 + 1) from 0 to 2. By substituting u = x^3 + 1 and dx = 3x^2, the integral can be rewritten as 2/3 multiplied by the integral from 0 to 2 of (√x^3 + 1) (3x^2 dx). This allows for the use of the second fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the integral from a to b of f(t) dt is equal to g(b) - g(a). In this case, the integral is equal to 2/3 times the
Jimmy84

Homework Statement

Solve using the second fundamental theorem of calculus
[tex]\int [/tex] from 0 to 2 of 2x^2 (√x^3 + 1) dx

Homework Equations

Using the second fundamental theorem of calculus

[tex]\int [/tex] from a to b of f(t) dt = g(b) - g(a)

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int [/tex] from 0 to 2 of 2x^2 (√x^3 + 1)dx

= 2/3 multiplyed by [tex]\int [/tex] from 0 to 2 of (√x^3 + 1) (3x^2 dx)

This problem is solved in my book however I don't understand why the book added 2/3 and at the end of the equation (3x^2 dx) , in replace of 2x^2 .

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this what you're asked for? [tex]\int [/tex]2x²(√ x³ + 1)dx

When I'm faced with a problem like this I usually take a guess at the function, differentiate it, and see how I can change it to get the proper answer. For example, say your guess is (√ x³ + 1). Differentiate it and see what you get - it's not the right answer but see what you can change

Jimmy84 -

This problem is solved in my book however I don't understand why the book added 2/3 and at the end of the equation (3x^2 dx) , in replace of 2x^2 .

Hint: Firstly, can you see that the two expressions for the integral are the same? Next, what is the derivative of [itex]x^3[/itex]. How can that be used in the new form of the integral expressed by your book.

yea I can see that the two expressions for the integral are the same.

but I'm not sure at all where does the derivative of x^3 come from.

Actually, what's important is the derivative of x^3+ 1.

Substitute u= x^3+ 1.

So it goes like this. u = x^3+ 1.

By the way it shouldn't be u = (the square root of x³ + 1) instead ?

Then dx is replaced by 3x^2 , and because of that 2/3 should be before the integral to keep the expresion the same in this way

2/3 multiplyed by [tex]\int [/tex] from 0 to 2 of (√x^3 + 1) (3x^2 dx)

Related to Solve using the second funtamental theorem of calculus

1. What is the second fundamental theorem of calculus?

The second fundamental theorem of calculus is a mathematical theorem that relates the concept of differentiation and integration. It states that if a function f is continuous on an interval [a, b], and if F is an antiderivative of f on [a, b], then the definite integral of f from a to b is equal to F(b) - F(a).

2. How is the second fundamental theorem of calculus used to solve problems?

The second fundamental theorem of calculus is used to evaluate definite integrals by finding the antiderivative of a function and plugging in the endpoints of the interval into the antiderivative. This allows us to easily calculate the area under a curve or the net change of a quantity over a certain time period.

3. What is the difference between the first and second fundamental theorem of calculus?

The first fundamental theorem of calculus deals with finding the derivative of a function, while the second fundamental theorem deals with finding the definite integral of a function. Essentially, the first theorem is about differentiation and the second is about integration.

4. Can the second fundamental theorem of calculus be applied to all functions?

No, the second fundamental theorem of calculus can only be applied to functions that are continuous on the given interval. It also relies on the existence of an antiderivative of the function, which may not exist for all functions.

5. How does the second fundamental theorem of calculus relate to the area under a curve?

The second fundamental theorem of calculus allows us to easily calculate the area under a curve by finding the definite integral of the function. This is because the definite integral represents the area under a curve on a given interval. By using the theorem, we can find the exact value of the area instead of having to approximate it using geometric shapes.