Solve Trig Identity Problem: Eliminating θ from x=2+cscθ and y=1/4tanθ

In summary, the conversation is about eliminating the variable θ from two equations x=2+cscθ and y=1/4tanθ by getting separate expressions for cscθ and tanθ and finding a trig identity to manipulate the functions and solve for θ. The first step involves rewriting the equations as cscθ=x-2 and tanθ=4y, and then using the trig identity 1+tan²θ=sec²θ. The person thanking the other for their help and finding the solution easier now.
Briggs
I have been set an exercise from my textbook to do for homework but I am having some problems on one of the questions, I havn't encountered any of this type before and I am quite stumped.

"Eliminate [tex]\theta[/tex] from equations [tex]x=2+\csc\theta[/tex] and [tex]y=\frac{1}{4}\tan\theta[/tex]"

So I am guessing I start off with x=y but then... :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
start off by getting separate expressions for cscθ and tanθ from each of your two eqns.
Now you have to eliminate θ.
Can you do it from there ?

So for the first one would it goto,
[tex]2+\frac{1}{\sin\theta}=3+\cot\theta[/tex] Then try eliminate theta from there?

not quite.
get two separate expressions. One for cscθ and one for tanθ.
Then find a trig identity involving the trig functions. You will have to manipulate the functions to get the identity.

I'm not sure what you are saying, get an expression for each equation so for the first one would become [tex]2+\cot\theta[/tex] and the second one [tex]\frac{1}{4}\csc\theta-\frac{1}{4}[/tex] then put them equal to each other and try solve it?
I would appreciate it if you could show me the first step in tex form

Last edited:
hang on a minute.

x = 2 + cscθ
y = ¼tanθ

cscθ = x - 2
tanθ = 4y

1 + tan²θ = sec²θ

Ahhh, it all becomes clear. Thanks a lot for the help It seems so easy now.

Related to Solve Trig Identity Problem: Eliminating θ from x=2+cscθ and y=1/4tanθ

1. How do you eliminate θ from the given equations?

To eliminate θ, we can use the trigonometric identities cscθ = 1/sinθ and tanθ = sinθ/cosθ to rewrite the equations in terms of sinθ and cosθ. Then, we can substitute these expressions into the equations to eliminate θ.

2. What is the purpose of eliminating θ?

Eliminating θ allows us to solve for x and y in terms of sinθ and cosθ, which are the fundamental trigonometric functions. This can help us simplify and solve more complex trigonometric equations.

3. Can we solve the equations for x and y without eliminating θ?

Yes, it is possible to solve the equations for x and y without eliminating θ. However, eliminating θ can make the equations simpler and easier to solve, especially for more complicated trigonometric identities.

4. Are there different ways to eliminate θ from the equations?

Yes, there are different approaches to eliminating θ from trigonometric equations. In this specific problem, we used the trigonometric identities cscθ = 1/sinθ and tanθ = sinθ/cosθ. However, depending on the given equations, other identities and methods may be more effective.

5. Can we check our solution to make sure it is correct?

Yes, we can check our solution by substituting the values of sinθ and cosθ back into the original equations and verifying that they equal the given values of x and y. This will confirm that our solution is valid and satisfies the equations.