Solve Permutation Problem: 36 Combination Lock

• Thread starter ajgrebel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Permutation
In summary, the equation is 36*35*35, resulting in 44,100 different possible combinations when reusing numbers but not using them consecutively.
ajgrebel
1. I've only just scrapped through math in high school but recently I have started to take up an interest in the subject. I was listening to a math podcast and they posted a question to be answered the following episode. However, I cannot seem to track that one down and I really need an answer because I'm starting to obsess on it.

2. A 3 combination lock has 36 possible numbers. What are all the possible combinations if you can reuse numbers but not consecutively? Examble: 121 but not 112, or 122

3. I assumed that you would take 36*35*35 which would be 44,100 different possible combinations. Is this correct? I'm more interested in the correct equation to use, then I am the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi ajgrebel! welcome to pf! :wink:
ajgrebel said:
2. A 3 combination lock has 36 possible numbers. What are all the possible combinations if you can reuse numbers but not consecutively? Examble: 121 but not 112, or 122

3. I assumed that you would take 36*35*35 which would be 44,100 different possible combinations. Is this correct? I'm more interested in the correct equation to use, then I am the answer.

yes that's correct :smile:

Thank you for letting me know

Related to Solve Permutation Problem: 36 Combination Lock

1. What is a permutation problem?

A permutation problem involves finding the number of ways that a set of objects can be arranged or ordered.

2. How does a 36 combination lock use permutations?

A 36 combination lock has 36 different numbers that can be used to create a combination. This means that there are 36 possible ways to arrange the numbers to create a unique combination.

3. How many permutations are possible with a 36 combination lock?

There are 36! (36 factorial) possible permutations with a 36 combination lock, which equals 8.320987e+39 or approximately 83 undecillion.

4. How can I calculate the number of permutations for a 36 combination lock?

The formula for calculating the number of permutations for a combination lock is n! (n factorial), where n is the number of objects or digits available. For a 36 combination lock, the formula would be 36! = 8.320987e+39.

5. Are there any shortcuts for solving permutation problems with a 36 combination lock?

Yes, there are shortcut methods such as using a combination lock calculator or a permutation formula. However, it is important to understand the concepts of permutations and combinations in order to fully understand and solve these types of problems.