Solve "Logic" Questions: Is Jed Right?

• Thread starter icystrike
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
So I think the best interpretation of what he said is that if Fredericks is fit then Petermass might play, and if that's what he meant then Jed is right.
icystrike

Homework Statement

Asked at a press conference whether the new signing, Petermass, would be playing in the big match on Saturday, the Manager replied: “Only if Fredericks isn’t fit.” Three of the journalists present noted the announcement as follows:

Jed wrote: “If Fredericks is fit Petermass won’t be playing.”
Ned wrote: “If Fredericks isn’t fit, Petermass will be playing.”
Ted wrote: “If Petermass doesn’t play it’ll mean Fredericks is fit."

Which of them got the facts right?
[Ans: Jed only]

The Attempt at a Solution

A: Petermass playing
B: Frederick is fit

The press conference suggests: BC → A
Jed: B → AC
Ned: BC → A
Ted: AC → B

How do I tackle such a question? Suggestions please :(

Physics news on Phys.org
icystrike said:
The press conference suggests: BC → A
No. What the manager said at the press conference was A BC, as 'X only if Y' means XY.

You've got the right idea. Translate the sentence into symbols. To compare whether two symbolic formulas are the same, you see whether one can be converted into the other using valid rules of inference. A key one in this case is
##(X\to Y)\leftrightarrow ((\neg Y)\to\neg X)##

If you are doing a logic course, they should have given you a list of logical axioms and rules of inference that you can use.

Likes icystrike
Impressive! I'm not taking any logic course, but I suppose good notations can solve half of any problem.

(A→ ¬B)≡ B → ¬A

"If Petermass will play, Frederick is unfit"

is equivalent to

"If Frederick is fit, Petermass will not play"

Therefore, Jed is right!

I think you're right, but the statement was, I believe not really what the manager probably meant. What he SAID was that if Fredericks isn't fit then Petermass MIGHT play. He left open the possibility that there were other conditions to Petermas's playing than just Fredericks not being fit. I think what he MEANT to say was that if Fredericks isn't fit then Petermass will definitely play. That is, I think he meant to link the two conditions as one being the NOT of the other but he didn't do that because English is imprecise unless you are careful.

Related to Solve "Logic" Questions: Is Jed Right?

1. How do I approach solving a logic question?

The first step in solving a logic question is to carefully read and understand the question. Pay attention to any given information and try to identify the main problem or goal. Then, break down the question into smaller parts and use logical reasoning to find the solution.

2. What are some common strategies for solving logic questions?

Some common strategies for solving logic questions include using Venn diagrams, creating truth tables, and using deductive reasoning. It is important to choose the strategy that best fits the specific question and to practice using different strategies to become more comfortable with them.

3. Can logic questions be solved without any prior knowledge?

Yes, logic questions can be solved without any prior knowledge. They are designed to test your logical reasoning skills, not your knowledge of a specific subject. However, having a basic understanding of logical concepts and strategies can be helpful.

4. How can I check if my solution to a logic question is correct?

The best way to check the correctness of your solution is to use a different strategy to solve the question. If both strategies lead to the same solution, then it is likely correct. Additionally, you can check your answer by plugging it back into the original question to see if it satisfies all given conditions.

5. What should I do if I am stuck on a logic question?

If you are stuck on a logic question, take a break and come back to it later. Sometimes, stepping away from the question can help you approach it with a fresh perspective. You can also try using a different strategy or asking for help from a friend or teacher.