Solve Limit Problem: SQRT(-2)/(4-x) as x Approaches 4

In summary: Since the denominator approaches 0 from the negative side, the overall fraction approaches negative infinity. So the limit does not exist as a number, it is -∞. In summary, the limit of -(2)/(sqrt(4-x)) as x approaches 4 from the negative side does not exist as a number, it is -∞.
Niaboc67

Homework Statement

[/b]
Determine if the limit exists as a number, ∞, -∞ or DNE
lim x->4- -(2)/(sqrt(4-x))

The Attempt at a Solution

lim x->4-...

I honestly don't know how to solve. Because I don't know what to do with the sqrt function. If someone could lead me in the right direction here that would be great.
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Niaboc67 said:

Homework Statement

Determine if the limit exists as a number, ∞, -∞ or DNE
lim x->4- -(2)/(sqrt(4-x))

The Attempt at a Solution

lim x->4-...

I honestly don't know how to solve. Because I don't know what to do with the sqrt function. If someone could lead me in the right direction here that would be great.
Thank you
This is actually pretty straightforward. The numerator doesn't change. What happens to the denominator as x gets closer to 4 from the left?

Looks like it's getting smaller and smaller from this graph I am looking at for 1/sqrt(x)?

Niaboc67 said:
Looks like it's getting smaller and smaller from this graph I am looking at for 1/sqrt(x)?
Can you be more specific? x is approaching 4 from the left.
What is the overall fraction doing?

I solved it. It was lim as x approaches 4 from the negative side. so I put it must be something like -2/sqrt(4-3.9999) so inf digits and therefore, -inf

Niaboc67 said:
I solved it. It was lim as x approaches 4 from the negative side. so I put it must be something like -2/sqrt(4-3.9999) so inf digits and therefore, -inf

Yes and that is exactly how you want to think about it.

Related to Solve Limit Problem: SQRT(-2)/(4-x) as x Approaches 4

What is a limit problem?

A limit problem is a mathematical concept that involves finding the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a certain value. It is used to understand the behavior of a function near a specific point.

How do you solve a limit problem?

To solve a limit problem, you can use various methods such as algebraic manipulation, substitution, and L'Hopital's rule. The specific method used depends on the type of limit and the function involved.

What is the limit of the function SQRT(-2)/(4-x) as x approaches 4?

The limit of the function SQRT(-2)/(4-x) as x approaches 4 is undefined. This is because the denominator of the function becomes 0 as x approaches 4, which is an undefined operation.

Can you solve the limit problem using L'Hopital's rule?

No, L'Hopital's rule cannot be used to solve this limit problem as it only applies to indeterminate forms such as 0/0 or infinity/infinity. In this case, the limit is undefined, not indeterminate.

What is the significance of solving limit problems?

Solving limit problems is essential in understanding the behavior of functions and making predictions about their values. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and is used in various real-world applications, such as in physics and engineering.