Solve Kinematics Problem: Car Overtaking Truck

In summary, the problem involves a car with a constant acceleration of 3.40m/s^2 overtaking a truck traveling at a constant speed of 17.5m/s. The question asks for the distance beyond its starting point that the car overtakes the truck and the speed of the car when it overtakes the truck. The suggested approach is to use the formula v^2f = v^2i + 2a(xf-xi) but there is not enough information to solve for the final velocity of the car. It is also suggested to consider what is common between the car and the truck at the moment of overtaking.
fxsnowy
I need help with this problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Homework Statement

At the instant the traffic light turns green, a car that has been waiting at an intersection starts ahead with a constant acceleration of 3.40m/s^2 . At the same instant a truck, traveling with a constant speed of 17.5m/s , overtakes and passes the car.

Homework Equations

How far beyond its starting point does the car overtake the truck?

How fast is the car traveling when it overtakes the truck?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think should be done? How would you go about solving the problem? HAve you any attempt made?

Darth Frodo said:
What do you think should be done? How would you go about solving the problem? HAve you any attempt made?

There is no specific time given, so i tried to use the formula v^2f = v^2i + 2a(xf-xi).
But for the car, I can't solve for the final velocity since I don't have the final position x so I don't know how to go about solving this.

May I ask if you have the answer to question 1? I have an answer but I want to ensure it's correct.

Also ask yourself, at the instant the car overtakes the truck, what is common between the two so I can equate something?

To solve this problem, we can use the kinematics equations:

1. For the first part, we can use the equation x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at^2, where x is the final position, x0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

In this case, the initial position for both the car and the truck is 0, since they both start at the same point. The car's acceleration is 3.40m/s^2 and the truck's speed is 17.5m/s.

Plugging in these values, we get:

x = 0 + 0 + 1/2(3.40)t^2 for the car

x = 0 + 17.5t for the truck

Since we are looking for the distance at which the car overtakes the truck, we can set these two equations equal to each other:

0 + 0 + 1/2(3.40)t^2 = 0 + 17.5t

Solving for t, we get t = 5.15 seconds.

To find the distance, we can plug this value back into either equation. Using the car's equation, we get:

x = 0 + 0 + 1/2(3.40)(5.15)^2 = 44.7m

Therefore, the car overtakes the truck at a distance of 44.7m from the intersection.

2. For the second part, we can use the equation v = v0 + at, where v is the final velocity, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

In this case, we are looking for the car's velocity when it overtakes the truck, so we can use the same value for t as before, 5.15 seconds.

Plugging in the values, we get:

v = 0 + (3.40)(5.15) = 17.5m/s

Therefore, the car is traveling at the same speed as the truck, 17.5m/s, when it overtakes the truck.

In conclusion, the car overtakes the truck at a distance of 44.7m from the intersection and at a speed of 17.5m/s.

Related to Solve Kinematics Problem: Car Overtaking Truck

1. What is a kinematics problem?

A kinematics problem involves analyzing the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It focuses on the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects over time.

2. How do I solve a kinematics problem involving a car overtaking a truck?

To solve this type of kinematics problem, you will need to use the equations of motion, which include displacement, velocity, and acceleration. You will also need to consider the initial conditions of the car and truck, such as their initial positions and velocities.

3. What information do I need to solve a kinematics problem involving a car overtaking a truck?

In order to solve this type of problem, you will need to know the initial positions and velocities of the car and truck, as well as the acceleration of the car. You may also need to consider the length of the car and truck and the distance between them when the car starts to overtake the truck.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving a kinematics problem involving a car overtaking a truck?

One common mistake is not considering the initial conditions of the car and truck, such as their positions and velocities. Another mistake is not using the correct equations of motion or not properly setting up the problem. It is also important to pay attention to units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem.

5. How can I check my answer for a kinematics problem involving a car overtaking a truck?

You can check your answer by plugging your values into the equations of motion and making sure they satisfy the given conditions. You can also double check your calculations and make sure they are accurate. Another option is to use a graphing calculator or simulation to visualize the motion and see if it matches your answer.