Solve Integration Problems: Homework Help

• Thread starter phantomprime
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation revolves around solving integrals using various techniques such as partial fractions and trigonometric identities. The person asking for help is having difficulty understanding these concepts and is seeking guidance from their teacher, classmates, and online sources. They also express frustration and feelings of inadequacy towards math.
phantomprime

Homework Statement

Picture44542.jpg

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first one I tried to simplify it, though for some reason I don't think its the correct procedure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show what you did for the first one? If people can see what you did, it'll be easier to help.

answer...attempted

1: I simplified the dominator to x(x^2 -1)then i said U was equal to that. Now i don't know if i am starting off right..my professor was talking about something on "Integral of rational functions by partial fractions" and he said solve by that using the different cases. I really don't know what he's talking about. I looked in the book and that doesn't help much. I see the cases and all..but nothing similar to these problems.I looked online too and that's no help

2)I said a^2=16 and a is 4
i simplified it using integral notation to 1/4tan^-1 (x/4) to = ln|x+sqrt(x^2 + 4^2)|

3&4)... I really don't know where to begin :rolleyes:

5. I converted that to ln |x+ sqrt(x^2 -1)|..but somehow I know my attempts are wrong

phantomprime said:
1: I simplified the dominator to x(x^2 -1)then i said U was equal to that. Now i don't know if i am starting off right..my professor was talking about something on "Integral of rational functions by partial fractions" and he said solve by that using the different cases. I really don't know what he's talking about. I looked in the book and that doesn't help much. I see the cases and all..but nothing similar to these problems.I looked online too and that's no help
If your teacher suggested partial fractions and you don't know what he's talking about, you have a serious problem. "Partial fractions" is a standard way to deal with problems like this and apparently your teacher has already taught you that (or tried to). Completely factor the denominator [x(x-1)(x+1)] and write the fraction as a sum of fractions each having one factor as denominator. If you don't know how to do "partial fractions", look it up in your textbook.

2)I said a^2=16 and a is 4
i simplified it using integral notation to 1/4tan^-1 (x/4) to = ln|x+sqrt(x^2 + 4^2)|

3&4)... I really don't know where to begin :rolleyes:
Once again, there is a standard method for dealing with integrals of products of trig functions. In particular, there is a simple method for products of sine and cosine where one of them is to an odd power. Look it up in your textbook.

5. I converted that to ln |x+ sqrt(x^2 -1)|..but somehow I know my attempts are wrong
HOW did you convert it to that? The calculus book I have beside me gives, in a table of integrals,
[tex]\int sin^{-1} u du= u sin^{-1} u+ \sqrt{1- u^2}+ C[/tex]

If your teacher suggested partial fractions and you don't know what he's talking about, you have a serious problem. "Partial fractions" is a standard way to deal with problems like this and apparently your teacher has already taught you that (or tried to). Completely factor the denominator [x(x-1)(x+1)] and write the fraction as a sum of fractions each having one factor as denominator. If you don't know how to do "partial fractions", look it up in your textbook.

I know I have a serious problem in math, I don't need anyone to tell me that. Do you think I enjoy staying after class, asking people in class and even asking people online for help. I don't enjoy it, in fact I feel inferior becasue of it. I mean if one person can get it why can't I. I do it because it is required. So I can learn from it, I have done this with Physics as well and I mangaged to understand it. I have "Calculus of a Single variable" by james stuart. I look through it and yes it has partial fractions and all..but the thing is these problems are even numbered ones in the book. Even if I get an answer I don't know if its right or wrong. I wouldn't mind if there were odd so I can check them in the back.

phantomprime said:
I know I have a serious problem in math, I don't need anyone to tell me that. Do you think I enjoy staying after class, asking people in class and even asking people online for help. I don't enjoy it, in fact I feel inferior becasue of it. I mean if one person can get it why can't I. I do it because it is required. So I can learn from it, I have done this with Physics as well and I mangaged to understand it. I have "Calculus of a Single variable" by james stuart. I look through it and yes it has partial fractions and all..but the thing is these problems are even numbered ones in the book. Even if I get an answer I don't know if its right or wrong. I wouldn't mind if there were odd so I can check them in the back.
If you are just looking to verify your answer, try http://integrals.wolfram.com/index.jsp. It won't help you solve the integrals though.

phantomprime said:

There's no reason to feel "inferior" just because you're having trouble on a calculus problem. Some of the best and brightest students come here to ask questions and refine their knowledge, and they do it because they care. You posted the question you did because you care about your work, and I find that to be very noble. If you're dissatisfied with an answer or explanation just keep asking until you find the answer you're looking for. No one here knows your name or where you go to school, so post as much as you'd like. If you still have questions just ask them :)

Related to Solve Integration Problems: Homework Help

1. What is integration and why is it important in science?

Integration is a mathematical process used to find the area under a curve. It is important in science because it allows us to calculate quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and displacement, which are crucial in understanding the behavior of natural phenomena.

2. How do I solve integration problems?

To solve integration problems, you need to follow a set of steps. First, identify the function that needs to be integrated. Then, use integration rules and techniques to simplify the function. Next, integrate the function using the identified rules and techniques. Finally, evaluate the integral to obtain the final answer.

3. What is the difference between indefinite and definite integration?

Indefinite integration is the process of finding a general solution for a given function, while definite integration is used to find the exact value of an integral between two limits. Indefinite integration results in a constant of integration, while definite integration gives a specific numerical value.

4. Can integration be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, integration can be used to solve real-world problems in a variety of fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It can be used to calculate areas, volumes, and other physical quantities that have real-world applications.

5. What are some common applications of integration in science?

Integration is commonly used in science to calculate the work done by a force, the rate of change of a quantity, the center of mass of an object, the growth rate of a population, and the concentration of a substance in a solution. It is also used in fields such as signal processing, image processing, and data analysis.