Solve Integer Sequence: 1955th Place = 4?

• Thread starter Wildcat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary: However, in this problem, it is stated that the integer 1 is the first integer written, and the integer 1955 is the last integer written. So, the equation would work for this problem.
Wildcat

Homework Statement

All integers beginning with 1 are written down in succession. What digit is in the 1955th place?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure it is 4 Wondered if someone wants to double check

Physics news on Phys.org
Wildcat said:

Homework Statement

All integers beginning with 1 are written down in succession. What digit is in the 1955th place?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure it is 4 Wondered if someone wants to double check

I would suspect something a bit different.

Don't forget that the 4 digit numbers begin with 1000, 1001, 1002, ...
The 1st end sin 0
The 2nd ends in 1
the 3rd ends in 2
etc

Mind posting your workings out? How did you arrive at this answer?

PeterO said:
I would suspect something a bit different.

Don't forget that the 4 digit numbers begin with 1000, 1001, 1002, ...
The 1st end sin 0
The 2nd ends in 1
the 3rd ends in 2
etc

I don't think I forgot them. There are 321 digits thru 199, then I need to go 1634 more places. I still come up with 4.

Lobezno said:
Mind posting your workings out? How did you arrive at this answer?

1 - 1 digit
10-19. - 20 digits. So. 21
100-199 -300 digits. So 321
To get to the 1955th digit I need to go 1634 more places so 1634/4 because each number in the thousands has 4 digits. 408.5. Go to 1407 over 2 more would be the 4 in 1408

Ahhh that's no fun. I thought there'd be some hardcore maths involved!

Wildcat said:
I don't think I forgot them. There are 321 digits thru 199, then I need to go 1634 more places. I still come up with 4.

I think I mis-counted the 3 digit numbers - can't find my notes now - but I think I had 600 digits rather than 300.

Lobezno said:
Ahhh that's no fun. I thought there'd be some hardcore maths involved!

No hardcore math in this one, sorry. Just don't want to make a silly mistake.

There are 9 single digit numbers
There are 90 double digit numbers
There are 900 triple digit numbers

The digit with "address" 1955 will lie within the range of triple digit numbers.

The starting address of the kth three digit number in the list will be

n = <address of first 3-digit number> + (k - 1)*3

n = 1*9 + 2*90 + 1 + (I - 100)*3 .

Now, you can either find the number I by trial and error, or do something clever with 1955 to find the appropriate starting address for the number in which the 1955th digit is embedded and solve for I directly. Hint: may require integer arithmetic (or truncation or floor or ceiling operations).

gneill said:
There are 9 single digit numbers
There are 90 double digit numbers
There are 900 triple digit numbers

The digit with "address" 1955 will lie within the range of triple digit numbers.

The starting address of the kth three digit number in the list will be

n = <address of first 3-digit number> + (k - 1)*3

n = 1*9 + 2*90 + 1 + (I - 100)*3 .

Now, you can either find the number I by trial and error, or do something clever with 1955 to find the appropriate starting address for the number in which the 1955th digit is embedded and solve for I directly. Hint: may require integer arithmetic (or truncation or floor or ceiling operations).

The original problem states that only integers that begin with 1 are written in succession, this equation would not work for this problem.

Wildcat said:
The original problem states that only integers that begin with 1 are written in succession, this equation would not work for this problem.

Ah. My apologies. I interpreted the problem statement to mean that all integers, starting with the integer 1, are written down. That is: 1,2,3,4,...

Related to Solve Integer Sequence: 1955th Place = 4?

1. What is an integer sequence?

An integer sequence is a list of numbers that follow a specific pattern or rule.

2. How do I solve an integer sequence?

To solve an integer sequence, you must first identify the pattern or rule that the numbers follow. Then, use that pattern to determine the missing number in the sequence.

3. What is the significance of the 1955th place in this sequence?

The 1955th place refers to the 1955th term or number in the sequence. It is used to specify which term is being asked to be solved.

4. Why is the 1955th place equal to 4 in this sequence?

It is not specified in the question why the 1955th place is equal to 4. The solution to this sequence may involve a specific pattern or rule that results in the 1955th term being equal to 4.

5. Is there a formula or algorithm for solving integer sequences?

Yes, there are various formulas and algorithms that can be used to solve integer sequences. However, the specific formula or algorithm used will depend on the pattern or rule of the sequence.