Solve Gaussian Integral: e^(-x^2)

In summary, the Gaussian integral is a mathematical function that can be evaluated using the improper integral. It can be solved using the improper integral limits and the Wallis product.
cragar
can some one tell me how to go about solving the gaussian integral
e^(-x^2) I know it has no elementary integral . but i was told the improper integral from -inf to positive inf can be solved and some said that i haft to do it complex numbers or something and help would be great , this is not a homework question.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int_{- \infty} ^{\infty} e^{-x^2} dx = 2 \int_0 ^{\infty} e^{-x^2} dx[/tex]

Write I as ∫e-x2 dx

If you change the variable x for y and then multiply the two I's you will get

[tex]I^2 = (\int_0 ^{\infty} e^{-x^2} dx)(\int_0 ^{\infty} e^{-y^2} dy)[/tex]

this is the same as

[tex]I^2= \int_0 ^{\infty} e^{-x^2-y^2}dxdy[/tex]

Convert to polar coordinates now.

cragar said:
can some one tell me how to go about solving the gaussian integral
e^(-x^2) I know it has no elementary integral . but i was told the improper integral from -inf to positive inf can be solved and some said that i haft to do it complex numbers or something and help would be great , this is not a homework question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_integral

Why don't you search by yourself before asking?

The Gaussian integral is not one that you can do with contour integrals (complex numbers)*. Typically to evaluate it you consider

[tex]I = \int_{-\infty}^\infty dx~e^{-x^2};[/tex]
then,

[tex]I^2 = \int_{-\infty}^\infty dx~e^{-x^2} \int_{-\infty}^\infty dy~e^{-y^2} = \int_{0}^{2\pi} d\theta \int_{0}^\infty dr r e^{-r^2}[/tex]
and evaluating.

An intro calculus textbook should treat this example more carefully and rigorously than I've written (identifying [itex](x,y) \in (-\infty,\infty) \mbox{U} (-\infty,\infty)[/itex] with [itex](r,\theta) \in [0,\infty) \mbox{U} [0,2\pi)[/itex] technically takes some care to do).

*I once read an account of how one could derive the result using a contour integral, but it was not at all a simple (or obvious) integrand that one needed to use in order to get the result.

Thanks for your answers

Mute said:
An intro calculus textbook should treat this example more carefully and rigorously than I've written (identifying [itex](x,y) \in (-\infty,\infty) \mbox{U} (-\infty,\infty)[/itex] with [itex](r,\theta) \in [0,\infty) \mbox{U} [0,2\pi)[/itex] technically takes some care to do).

Why when i convert the integral to polar form, do the intervals become [itex](r,\theta) \in [0,\infty) \mbox{U} [0,2\pi)[/itex]. Do you prove to me?Thanks.

coki2000 said:
Why when i convert the integral to polar form, do the intervals become [itex](r,\theta) \in [0,\infty) \mbox{U} [0,2\pi)[/itex]. Do you prove to me?Thanks.
If you are integrating over "all space", then r and θ must take on all possible values. Hence those integration limits, 0≤r<∞ and 0≤θ≤2π

Another way to do this is to consider the integral of sin^n(x) or cos^n(x) and use that to derive Stirling's approximation by first deriving the Wallis product.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallis_product

Since the asymptotics of n! can also be obtained directly from its integral representation and then using the saddle point method, this yields a derivation of the Gaussian integral.

Related to Solve Gaussian Integral: e^(-x^2)

1. What is a Gaussian Integral?

A Gaussian Integral, also known as the Error Function, is a type of definite integral that involves the Gaussian (or normal) distribution function. It is commonly used in statistics and probability to calculate the area under the curve of a normal distribution.

2. How do you solve a Gaussian Integral?

To solve a Gaussian Integral, you can use the substitution method or integration by parts. First, rewrite the integral in terms of the error function, then use a table of integrals or a computer algebra system to evaluate the integral. You can also use numerical methods, such as the trapezoidal rule, to approximate the integral.

3. What is the value of the Gaussian Integral e^(-x^2)?

The value of the Gaussian Integral e^(-x^2) is equal to the square root of pi divided by 2. This constant, denoted by the symbol √(pi/2), is approximately 0.886.

4. What are the applications of Gaussian Integrals?

Gaussian Integrals have various applications in fields such as statistics, physics, and engineering. They are used to calculate probabilities, determine confidence intervals, and solve differential equations. They are also used in signal processing, quantum mechanics, and image processing.

5. Are there any special techniques for solving complex Gaussian Integrals?

Yes, there are special techniques for solving complex Gaussian Integrals. One of the most common techniques is the Wick rotation, which involves substituting a complex variable for the real variable in the integral. This can simplify the integral and make it easier to solve. Other techniques include contour integration and the method of steepest descent.