Solve for x: Log x + (Log x)^2=0

• Thread starter FatLouieXVI
  • Start date
In summary, it appears that HallsofIvy was struggling with a quadratic equation in logsolving for x. After some help from Elucidus, it was determined that x = 16 was a solution.
FatLouieXVI
log x + (log x)^2 = o

It is very unclear to me how to solve this. I have managed to find x = 1, but cannot find x = 1/10. Also I have no idea if i am doing it right. How do i solve for x?

By log x i mean the common log

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a quadratic in log x. Further, there is no constant term in this quadratic, so it can be factored.

log4 x2 = (log4 x) 2

why does log4 x = 0

i have found that the x = 16, but i am confused of why x also is 1?

Where did you get log4 with base 4? If one of the answers is 1/10 as you gave in your first post, you're working with log10 with base 10. Try factoring the left hand side of the equation.

FatLouieXVI said:
log4 x2 = (log4 x) 2

why does log4 x = 0

[itex]log_4(x^2)= 2 log_4(x)[/itex] so your equation is the same as [itex]2log_4(x)= log_4(x)[/itex]. Subtracting [itex]log_4(x)[/itex] from both sides, you get [itex]log_4(x)= 0[/itex] which has x= 1 as its only solution.

x= 16 is NOT a solution. [itex]16= 4^2[/itex] so [itex]16^2= (4^2)^2= 4^4[/itex]. [itex]log_4(16^2)= 4[/itex] while [itex]log_4(16)= 2[/itex]. They are NOT equal.

Did you mean [itex](log_4(x))^2= log_4(x)[/itex]? You can write that as [itex](log_4(x))^2- log_4(x)= log_4(x)(log_4(x)- 1)= 0[/itex]. Then either [itex]log_4(x)= 0[/itex], with gives x= 1, or [itex]log_4(x)- 1= 0[/itex] so that [itex]log_4(x)= 1[/itex] and x= 4. But x= 16 is still not a solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry to clarify it is a whole new equation. The second post helped me figure the original equation out. My fault for not saying its a new equation

FatLouieXVI said:
log4 x2 = (log4 x) 2

why does log4 x = 0

HallsofIvy said:
[itex]log_4(x^2)= 2 log_4(x)[/itex] so your equation is the same as [itex]2log_4(x)= log_4(x)[/itex]. Subtracting [itex]log_4(x)[/itex] from both sides, you get [itex]log_4(x)= 0[/itex] which has x= 1 as its only solution.

x= 16 is NOT a solution. [itex]16= 4^2[/itex] so [itex]16^2= (4^2)^2= 4^4[/itex]. [itex]log_4(16^2)= 4[itex] while [itex]log_4(16)= 2[/itex]. They are NOT equal.

Did you mean [itex](log_4(x))^2= log_4(x)[/itex]? You can write that as [itex](log_4(x))^2- log_4(x)= log_4(x)(log_4(x)- 1)= 0[/itex]. Then either [itex]log_4(x)= 0[/itex], with gives x= 1, or [itex]log_4(x)- 1= 0[/itex] so that [itex]log_4(x)= 1[/itex] and x= 4. But x= 16 is still not a solution.

x = 16 is a solution of [itex]\log_4(x^2) = (\log_4 x)^2.[/itex] Both sides equal 4.

HallsofIvy's comment though gives the hint for turning this into a (factorable) quadratic equation in log4x which has 2 solutions, namely 1 and 16.

--Elucidus

Ah, I missed the square on the x on the left side! I need to get my eyes examined!

Related to Solve for x: Log x + (Log x)^2=0

What is the equation "Log x + (Log x)^2=0" asking me to solve for?

The equation is asking you to solve for the value of x that satisfies the equation.

What is the first step in solving this equation?

The first step is to combine the two logarithms using the properties of logarithms. In this case, we can use the property that states log a + log b = log (ab). This gives us the equation log (x^2) = 0.

What is the next step after combining the logarithms?

The next step is to rewrite the equation in exponential form. This gives us the equation x^2 = 10^0.

What is the final step in solving the equation?

The final step is to simplify and solve for x. In this case, 10^0 = 1, so we are left with x^2 = 1. Taking the square root of both sides, we get x = ±1. Therefore, the two solutions to the equation are x = 1 and x = -1.

Are there any restrictions on the values of x in this equation?

Yes, since logarithms are only defined for positive numbers, the value of x must be greater than 0. In other words, x > 0.