Solve for Angle A: Law of Sines Problem"

In summary: There is no "correct" triangle to solve for. There is no "correct" answer.In summary, the problem provides inconsistent information about the angles and sides of a triangle, making it impossible to solve for a specific angle A using the law of sines. The provided ratios can be used to solve for different triangles depending on which three angles or sides are chosen, but there is no "correct" solution.
bengaltiger14
Law of sines Problem...

Homework Statement

Solve for angle A:

sin(135)/56.6 = sin(A)/45 = sin(15)/15

The Attempt at a Solution

sin(135)/56.6 = sin(A) = 45sin(15)/15

Am I on the correct track?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track, and you have the right idea, but you seem to be confused with that second equal sign.

[tex]\frac{\sin 135}{56.6}=\frac{\sin A}{45}=\frac{\sin 15}{15}[/tex]

All this above line says is:

[tex]\frac{\sin A}{45}= \frac{\sin 15}{15}[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{\sin A}{45}=\frac{\sin 135}{56.6}[/tex]All you have to do is pick one of the above equations. They should give you the same answer. Does this help?

Last edited:
it sure does... I was trying to solve all together at once. Could not figure out how but that makes sense what you said. Thanks.

No Problem! :smile:

bengaltiger14 said:

Homework Statement

Solve for angle A:

sin(135)/56.6 = sin(A)/45 = sin(15)/15

The Attempt at a Solution

sin(135)/56.6 = sin(A) = 45sin(15)/15

Am I on the correct track?

I'm confused. Why not just use 135+A+15=180 to solve for A? And with the given figures all of the ratios are only roughly equal. Are we really solving the correct problem?

I suspect we are too clever for our own good!

This is the second question I have seen posted under "physics" that had no physics in it! Why isn't this posted under a mathematics thread?

Because us mere physicists are scared of going over there?

The question didn't mention that all the angles refer to the actual angles in the triangle. if the question says sin (165)/15. the below method will not work but the above method will work. right?

135+A+15=180

if it is not in the right place, why don't the moderator move it?

Leong said:
The question didn't mention that all the angles refer to the actual angles in the triangle. if the question says sin (165)/15. the below method will not work but the above method will work. right?

135+A+15=180

If the angles aren't the 'actual angles' of a triangle then what might they be and what could the law of sines have to do with them?

we must analyze based on what we have

Leong said:
we must analyze based on what we have

I give up.

in case you don't, i will...

The law of sines only works for the internal angles of a triangle in a flat plane.
I checked in case it was a trick question about spherical trig.

Dick said:
If the angles aren't the 'actual angles' of a triangle then what might they be and what could the law of sines have to do with them?
They can't be actual angles. They don't satisfy the triangle inequality.

i been reviewing Trig and i still have yet to finish a chapter that I've been on for 3 days! i didn't think Trig would take this much work.

lugita15 said:
They can't be actual angles. They don't satisfy the triangle inequality.

Then what are they? This is silly. The OP gives more information than you actually need to solve the triangle and that extra information is inconsistant. You can pick three of the given sides or angles and solve a triangle - but you get somewhat different triangles depending on which three you pick.

Related to Solve for Angle A: Law of Sines Problem"

What is the Law of Sines?

The Law of Sines is a mathematical formula used to solve triangles that are not right triangles. It states that the ratio of the sine of an angle to the length of its opposite side is equal for all angles in a triangle.

How is the Law of Sines used to solve for Angle A?

To solve for Angle A using the Law of Sines, you will need to have at least two side lengths and their opposite angles. You can then use the formula sin(A)/a = sin(B)/b = sin(C)/c, where A, B, and C are angles and a, b, and c are the corresponding side lengths. This will allow you to find the measure of Angle A.

What are the steps to solve for Angle A using the Law of Sines?

The steps to solve for Angle A using the Law of Sines are as follows:
1. Identify the known side lengths and their opposite angles.
2. Choose the appropriate formula, sin(A)/a = sin(B)/b = sin(C)/c, based on the given information.
3. Substitute in the known values and solve for the missing angle.
4. Check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation to ensure it satisfies the equation.

What are some common mistakes when using the Law of Sines to solve for Angle A?

Some common mistakes when using the Law of Sines to solve for Angle A include:
- Using the wrong formula (such as using cosine instead of sine)
- Not converting between degrees and radians when necessary
- Using the incorrect values for the opposite angles
- Forgetting to check the angle measure for possible extraneous solutions
It is important to be careful and double check your work to avoid these mistakes.

Can the Law of Sines be used to solve any triangle?

The Law of Sines can be used to solve any triangle that is not a right triangle. However, if you only have two side lengths and their opposite angles, there may be multiple possible solutions. In this case, you will need to use additional information or apply the Law of Cosines to find the missing angles and complete the solution.