Solve Complex Algebra Problem: Laplace Transform of cos(at)

• Thread starter FrogPad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with showing the Laplace transform of cos(at) and finding the complex part in the solution. The TI-89 calculator is able to automatically solve this, but the individual is looking for a manual solution and is wondering if partial fractions are involved. The solution is to multiply the numerator and denominator by (s-ia) to obtain s/(s^2+a^2) -ia/(s^2+a^2).
FrogPad
Note:
It looks like the LaTeX interpreter is not working right now. So I'll try and use plaintext and make things look pretty.

To my problem:
My algebra skills are kind of weak, but I am trying to show the Laplace transform of cos(at) and I keep getting stuck at this one spot.

it is where
L{e^(i*a*t)} = 1/(s+i*a)

How do I get the complex part out of the bottom? My TI-89 will do it for me automatically... but I can't just turn the solution in like that :)
So the TI-89 says that:

Code:
 1           s           a
----   = --------- + --------- i
s+ia      s^2+a^2    s^2+a^2

(or if LaTeX starts working again)
[tex]
\frac{1}{s+ia}=\frac{s}{s^2+a^2}+\frac{a}{s^2+a^2}*i
[/tex]

So how the hell is my calc doing that?... partial fractions maybe? I dunno... and it is friggn' bugging me. Thanks in advance.

Sorry about the ascii art :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Multiply numerator and denominator by (s-ia).
So you will get
s/(s^2+a^2) -ia/(s^2+a^2)

that was easy :smile:

thank you !

Related to Solve Complex Algebra Problem: Laplace Transform of cos(at)

1. What is the Laplace Transform of cos(at)?

The Laplace Transform of cos(at) is 1/(s^2+a^2), where s is the complex variable and a is a constant.

2. How do you solve complex algebra problems using Laplace Transform?

To solve complex algebra problems using Laplace Transform, you need to first take the Laplace Transform of the given function. Then, you can use properties of Laplace Transform such as linearity, time shifting, and frequency shifting to simplify the problem. Finally, you can use inverse Laplace Transform to find the solution.

3. Is Laplace Transform only used for solving algebra problems with trigonometric functions?

No, Laplace Transform can be used to solve a variety of algebra problems, including those with trigonometric functions, exponential functions, and polynomial functions.

4. Can Laplace Transform be used for real-world applications?

Yes, Laplace Transform has many real-world applications in engineering, physics, and other sciences. It is commonly used in signal processing, control systems, and circuit analysis.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using Laplace Transform?

One limitation of Laplace Transform is that it is not always possible to find the inverse Laplace Transform, which is needed to find the solution to the original problem. In addition, Laplace Transform may not work for functions with discontinuities or singularities.