Solve Bending of Light Formula Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a Wikipedia passage on Schwarzschild geodesics and the calculation of the null geodesic in the Schwarzschild metric. The solution is found by using the square form of the Lagrangian and conservation laws, leading to an equation for r(φ) that can be solved up to an integral. This calculation is similar to solving the Kepler problem in Newtonian mechanics. The details of the solution are provided in the links given.
alex4lp
Good morning everybody. I have a problem with this wikipedia passage https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwarzschild_geodesics#Bending_of_light_by_gravity 'cause it says "Expanding in powers of rs/r, the leading order term in this formula gives the approximate angular deflection δφ for a massless particle coming in from infinity and going back out to infinity:". I tried to use Taylor formula and integrate but i can't reach that formula even considering orders. Can someone help me please? I'm just going crazy on a stupid expansion in powers xD Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Post the details of how you tried to work it out, and someone may be able to see where you went wrong.

That's the calculation of the null geodesic in the Schwarzschild metric. Just use the square form of the Lagrangian
$$L=\frac{1}{2} g_{\mu \nu} \dot{q}^{\mu} \dot{q}^{\nu}$$
and use the conservation laws, i.e., it's a planar motion ##\vartheta=0## from isotropy (rotation invariance), the Lagrangian=Hamiltonian is conserved, and also the canonical momentum of ##q^0=c t## is conserved, because the Schwarzschild metric is static. Using this you can derive an equation for ##r(\varphi)## which can be solved up to an integral, leading to some elliptic function. You can solve it exactly for when expanding in powers of ##r_S/r \ll 1## (for, e.g., our Sun).
The calculation is naturally very similar to what you are doing in Newtonian mechanics when solving the Kepler problem. You find the details in an exercise, we once gave at a cosmology lecture (however in German):

http://th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/cosmo-SS12/blatt01.pdf (problem set)
http://th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/cosmo-SS12/lsg01.pdf (solution)

Likes alex4lp
Perfect, that's exactly what i needed! Thank you very much!

Related to Solve Bending of Light Formula Problem

1. How does light bend when passing through a medium?

When light passes through a medium, such as air, water, or glass, it can bend or refract due to differences in the speed of light in each medium. This bending is caused by a change in the light's direction as it enters and exits the medium.

2. What is the formula for calculating the bending of light?

The formula for calculating the bending of light, also known as Snell's law, is n1sin(θ1) = n2sin(θ2), where n1 and n2 are the refractive indices of the two mediums and θ1 and θ2 are the angles of incidence and refraction, respectively.

3. How is the bending of light used in everyday applications?

The bending of light is used in various everyday applications, such as eyeglasses, contact lenses, and cameras. It is also used in optical fibers for telecommunication and in the lenses of microscopes and telescopes.

4. Can the bending of light be controlled?

Yes, the bending of light can be controlled by changing the refractive index of the medium it is passing through. This can be done by using materials with different refractive indices, such as prisms, or by manipulating the temperature or pressure of the medium.

5. What are some factors that can affect the bending of light?

The bending of light can be affected by several factors, including the refractive indices of the two mediums, the angle of incidence, and the wavelength of the light. Other factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities in the medium can also have an impact on the bending of light.