Solution Found: Spring & Wheel - 2x4 Spinning Ball and Spring

In summary, the person is looking for a rolling ball or wheel that will compress, and has looked at a few products that may fit the bill. They want the wheel to have a spring behind it to give it tension, and they want the wheel to be able to be pushed down just like this product.
QuestionPlease
I have a simple problem with a simple solution - but i can't figure out how to do it. Help would be greatly appreciated!

Basically I have a 2x4. on this 2x4, i want to put a spinning 1" ball (or wheel) that will allow things to roll on it. BUT i want the ball to have a spring behind it that give a little tension to it.

Do they make anything like this? And where would i buy them?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
QuestionPlease said:
I have a simple problem with a simple solution - but i can't figure out how to do it. Help would be greatly appreciated!

Basically I have a 2x4. on this 2x4, i want to put a spinning 1" ball (or wheel) that will allow things to roll on it. BUT i want the ball to have a spring behind it that give a little tension to it.

Do they make anything like this? And where would i buy them?

Thanks!

Welcome to the PF.

Could you maybe post a sketch? And what kind of things do you want to roll on this 2x4 piece of wood?

Well if you're building it from scratch, then all you would need to do is attach the axle of the wheel to a fixed spring---I think you pretty much have it. If you don't insist on building it from a 2x4, then there are actually a bunch of exercise machines for leg presses which basically operate on the same principle, take for example the bowflex (where the bows basically function as the spring): http://www.socialshopping.com/image...s--Bowflex-PR1000-Gym-Fitness-equipments-.jpg The seat can roll along the rail it's on, but the bows pull the seat back in.

Last edited:
Thanks Jolb - I'm thinking on a much smaller scale though. The ball or wheel is only about an inch or two in diameter. And no, i don't want do it from scratch. I would much rather go to Lowes or order it online if possible.

I just need a rolling ball or wheel that will compress. These MIGHT work, but I've never used one before: http://www.te-co.com/Ball+Plungers-C-3001-C-.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
What about a metal tape measure. you pull it out and release it snaps back in. There is also small ones for your keys so you don't loose them. Or a extendable leash for a dog. Just tie the loose end to the roller and the other end somewhere on your 2x4.

I'm not wanting a winding action. I just want the wheel to compress down.

How many wheel rotations do you want to have between the spring being relaxed and at full compression?

There are some toy cars that have a spring mechanism attached to their rear wheels so that you can rub them backwards on the ground a bit, and then release them to let the spring energy propel them along for a while...

No, I'm sorry. I'm not wanting any kind of spring for the wheel to wind. The wheel should spend freely. I just want the wheel to be able to be pushed down. Just like this product: http://www.allaboutdoors.com/product...ducts_id=25350 - only if something pushing down on the wheel that it will sink in and then spring back up.

Oh. I thought you wanted some springy action so the wheel would not roll down the 2x4 on its own.

I can't remeber where I have seen something to what you want, though it evades me right now.

QuestionPlease said:
No, I'm sorry. I'm not wanting any kind of spring for the wheel to wind. The wheel should spend freely. I just want the wheel to be able to be pushed down. Just like this product: http://www.allaboutdoors.com/product...ducts_id=25350 - only if something pushing down on the wheel that it will sink in and then spring back up.

Can you just add your own springs to that wheel assembly? Although it might be good to use one with 4 mounting holes instead of 2, to add stability to the suspended assembly.

http://www.allaboutdoors.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=25350+&search_in_description=1

Related to Solution Found: Spring & Wheel - 2x4 Spinning Ball and Spring

1. What is the purpose of the spring and wheel in this experiment?

The spring and wheel are used to create a spinning motion for the 2x4 ball. This allows for the ball to move in a circular path and demonstrate the principles of rotational motion.

2. How does the spring contribute to the motion of the ball?

The spring stores potential energy as it is compressed by the weight of the ball. When released, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the ball to spin.

3. Can the spring and wheel be replaced with other materials?

Yes, as long as the material is able to store and release energy in a similar manner to the spring. For example, a rubber band or a compressed air cylinder could also be used.

4. How does the weight of the ball affect the speed of the spinning motion?

The heavier the ball, the more potential energy is stored in the spring when compressed. This results in a greater release of kinetic energy and a faster spinning motion.

5. What other factors can affect the results of this experiment?

The surface the experiment is conducted on, the angle at which the spring is released, and the amount of compression in the spring can all impact the results of the experiment. Additionally, external forces such as air resistance may also affect the motion of the ball.